new moped purchase information

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

new moped purchase information

Postby Jimbo321 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm curious. I see all various makes of mopeds posted here, and i'm wondering where i can get information on the various makes (new) that are available for purchase, hopefully here in the northern Kentucky area.
Does Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc., make any mopeds that are NOT scooter types? Just curious..thanks.
Jimbo321
Net Rider

re: new moped purchase information

Postby John » Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 am

No to your question. Only Tomos in the US is supported in any way and that is meager. Also the 4 stroke one you have and similar rebadged ones. Thats it.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: new moped purchase information

Postby tortoise » Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 am

Jimbo321 wrote:mopeds that are NOT scooter types

Since Kentucky does NOT require operational pedals in their moped definition, most do choose a "scooter type" . . such as the Tomos Twister 50 made by SYM China.

tortoise
Net Rider

re: new moped purchase information

Postby Jimbo321 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks for the info.. i just do not like the "scooter" look, i'd rather have one with looks like that of the streetmate, or another step through model. I have a feeling that the SSR Lazer 5 will be very poplar here, as long as they hold up good. Time will tell, and will let everyone know the good as well as the bad of them. They're similiar to one of the Tomos models in looks, i can't recall the name of the Tomos model, but the Lazer is almost half the price, plus the Lazer has a four stroke engine, which i prefer for many reasons. I just wish Honda or Yamaha would put out something with the true "moped" styling instead of the scooter look. Oh well, can't have everything.
Jimbo321
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders