OK, now I really need some advice...

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

OK, now I really need some advice...

Postby rac421 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Finally got the nut in for the CEV flywheel on my '79 Motron with the Minarelli V1. Unfortunately, the dpo (dreaded previous owner) had apparently tried taking this nut off in the wrong direction which led to some serious damage to the shaft end. I believe it can be saved with the use of a metric thread chaser (or die) not a problem ordinarily, but it's my understanding that this is a reverse thread nut (the only one on the bike it seems). I have no idea where to look for a reverse thread die like this. I'm sure this is not the first V1 crank nut to be in need of such an item but I'm at a loss to know where to begin looking. Any help from the MPA board would be greatly appreciated.

It's a 10mm diam shaft (20 thread) as far as I can see.
rac421
Net Rider

re: OK, now I really need some advice...

Postby John » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:42 am

Harbor Freight , look for a metric thread file. Inexpensive alternative to finding a die that works for you.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby rac421 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks John - I had forgotten all about thread files. I will try one post-haste.
rac421
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Buy a left hand thread die from Mcmaster-carr, if you can identify the thread with a metric pitch gauge. The die will give you the most of a full thread to the extent that the damage was done.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby rac421 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks, I have a die on the way along with a thread file.One way or another I'll fix it (or I'll fix it so no one else can fix it). :^)

I've torn the bike down to the last bolt and nut - cleaned, stripped, primed, painted - it's going back together as we speak and is looking pretty darn good. By the time the tools get here the rest of the bike will be primo and I will have no choice but to get it running whatever it takes. I'll keep you guys posted.
rac421
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders