Still cannot find this elusive part...

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Still cannot find this elusive part...

Postby rac421 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Thought I had every thing ready to go on my Motron (Minerelli V1 50cc) and did, except the flywheel nut sent me by one of the suppliers turned out to be a clutch nut (right-hand thread) instead of the left-hand thread nut that is required on the V1. This a fairly specific nut for this unit and is a reverse thread 10mm x 125 long reach nut. I can't seem to find one anywhere. This newly restored (nut and bolt frame-up restoration)
is sitting idle for lack of one nut that no one seems to have.

If anyone can help me with this I would truly appreciate it . I will pay a premium price for one of these things!

Thanks all

Ron
rac421
Net Rider

re: Still cannot find this elusive part...

Postby JD » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Have you tried The Moped Junkyard? They seem to have a couple of nuts for the V1.

I don't see the part on 1977 Mopeds but you might give them a call if you haven't already. They deal with a lot of Minarelli stuff.
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby rac421 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Tried both of them and both say it's out of stock. Moped Warehouse says they have one but I am leery of ordering anything from them using my credit card - after seeing the "sticky" on this board!
rac421
Net Rider

Postby JD » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Frankly, I'd try Moped Warehouse if it's the only choice. Just make sure to keep an eye on your credit card statement and document everything. The downside is pretty small, I'd say, if you can actually get the part you need.

Does he take Paypal?
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby rac421 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:20 pm

Doesn't appear to take paypal (which I prefer) and my browser (Firefox) declares the site not secure with a very strong warning!

Still you might be right - it appears to be the only game in town. The nut is five dollars plus a five dollar surcharge plus shipping - I'm thinking it's going to turn into a $15. nut. I do have a line on a used one but have not heard back from the owner. We shall see....
rac421
Net Rider

Postby JD » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Here's a guy parting out his Motron on MopedArmy.com. See if he's got it.

It might actually make sense to pick up a beater with a Minarelli engine, just for spare parts.

jd
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby rac421 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:57 pm

That's what I'm thinking - inquired about a local one today and waiting to hear back. Thanks for the tips.
rac421
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:20 am

Ever thought of going to a machine shop and have them drill and tap a piece of hex stock. If this nut is so elusive that would be my avenue, or even doing it yourself if you have access to the left hand tap.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby rac421 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 am

Actually that had not occurred to me - I'll check into that as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rac421
Net Rider

Postby derbiman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:06 pm

I had the same problem with my Derbi DS 50. I bought an all-thread coupling at Home Depot which is the 3/8" size. Use an 11/32" drill bit in a drill press and drill the existing threads out. I picked up a 10mm left hand tap on ebay for like 10 bucks. Works like a charm and you can cut it to length too.
derbiman
Net Rider

Postby rac421 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:10 pm

I did finally find a proper nut ...but the all-thread coupler is a great idea - I have used them in the past for a variety of diys repairs - thanks for the post!

Running perfect now- I would like to thank everyone who contributed input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rac421
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:25 pm

With the all-thread coupler, another idea is drill out one that will accommodate the metric head studs and retap to suit. Long nut is a easy remove instead of hunting around for a thin walled deep socket.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders