Looking at a 57 Simson SR2

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Looking at a 57 Simson SR2

Postby kawtoy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:19 pm

Found this amazing condition all original 1957 Simson SR2. Trouble is I can not find enough info or sales figures to know if the asking price is fair or not. Needs nothing and is a legit museum quality moped. Can anyone fill me in on if it is worth picking up and what it might be worth? Thank you in advance.
kawtoy
Net Rider

re: Looking at a 57 Simson SR2

Postby John » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:04 am

Lets see some shots of it. Some other ones here....
http://www.icenicam.ukfsn.org/gallery/ps02.html
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby kawtoy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Here are a few. It hasn't been washed in a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kawtoy
Net Rider

Postby kawtoy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:58 pm

No input from anyone?
kawtoy
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Go for it and all original, leave it as is but polish it up. Even an original seat. Here is a pic of my 1960 Norman Nippy Mk.IV. Original paint, just polished!
If you go to the EACC site in the UK and give a shout out to Mark Daniels. He could probably give you an idea in GB pounds its worth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby kawtoy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks John, I will see if I can get in touch with him. Your Norman is great, must be a blast to ride. The Simson has things that I am not familiar with. The left hand grip moves like a throttle but I have no idea what it does. Guess I have some learning to do. Current owner doesn't know either. He tried to start it but gave up after a while. There is spark and fuel so I assume it is just a matter of making sure all the right switches are on on so forth.
kawtoy
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 am

Must be multi geared, probably 2 on the left grip. Lever is a clutch lever. Rear brake is probably foot operated on the right. Tickle the carb for fuel in the carb. choke, and pedal with clutch in. Release clutch and engage engine when speed up. Should start if you have spark and decent compression and a fuel flow. Tank will need to be cleaned and petcock also. If this bike has sat for many years it will need a complete going over both its mechanicals and motor (bearings, seals and possibly rings. If you don't mind let me know by a PM what he wants for it. Curious as it is a beauty, if price was right and it was here I would probably jump on it. But I need another bike like a hole in the head!

Parts and help may be sourced from this site....
http://www.mopedland.ukfsn.org/
Mark Daniels runs it out of Ipswich, England
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby kawtoy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:15 pm

The Simson is now in my garage. Now I just have to figure out how to start it. Tank is spotless inside, pratically new. For now I am leaving the fuel out and just trying to start it off starter fluid. As soon as it fires up I can then fill up the tank and get it to run under it's own power. Right now I have spark and 90 psi compression but won't start. I don't know what position any of the switches should be in so I am trying all combinations. I know I am missing something silly but not sure what. I have only spent 20 minutes on it but I plan on tinkering on it tonight. Maybe someone playing with the ignition and set the timing wrong. For now I will leave it all as is until I have exhausted all other options.
kawtoy
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Careful on the starter fluid, no lubrication and you could hole the piston.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby kawtoy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't planning on running it like that. Just want to hear it "pop" so I know that timing and everything is at least close enough to make it run. Then I will add the fuel/oil mix and get everything timed and so on. What mix ratio do I need and what oil should I use? I have only had 1 two stroke bike before but it had a oil tank and mixed itself. I have the carb off now but I should at least be able to get it to fire and then I will put everything back together and see if the carb is set up correctly.
kawtoy
Net Rider

Postby kawtoy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Gave her a quick wash tonight and she is looking pretty sexy!
kawtoy
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:11 am

Look after that thing! I see it was a German company, check Wikipedia. Use a atomizer bottle and squirt some premix down the throat of the carb while trying to start it. Carb cleaner will also work better than ether as it has some lub in it.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby kawtoy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:34 am

Do you have any idea what the mix should be? Is it a 50:1 with regualr 2-stroke oil like weedeaters or do I need a different ratio using a different oil?
kawtoy
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:23 am

By the age of that bike back in the day they mixed 25:1. With oils of today I wouldn't get above 40:1. Use good synthetic 2T oil like Redline, Lucas, Amsoil etc. and mix in a container not the tank on the bike. It has a gear box which probably has a wet clutch. You need SEA30 non detergent oil for it. TSC has single grade oils often used in compressors etc. I would be searching the internet for a manual for it if I was you.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby kawtoy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:40 pm

I have looked for a manual but so far nothing found. The guy I bought it from is digging out the paperwork that some Dutch guys sent him. He said there is lots of good info in there so hopefully it will lead me in the right direction. I will pick it up tomorrow and I go pick up the other bike I bought.
kawtoy
Net Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders