Need Help with my 1978 AMF

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Need Help with my 1978 AMF

Postby nickbarnabe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:36 am

Hello, I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I recently picked up an AMF Roadmaster with a minarelli v1 engine for short money. The problem i am having with it is that it is very difficult to start. Once it does start though, it does run well. But then the other issue is it won't idle after warming up either. If you don't keep on the throttle it just dies and is neraly impossible to start again. These are some things i have already done to try to solve this:

Cleaned carburetor(its spotless throughout)

checked all carburetor gaskets and they seem fine

no rust in tank, fuel flows fine

checked compression with engine hot and throttle wide open. compression is about 95 which i was told is not the best but should still be fine

checked spark, has plenty of spark

I am running out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The only other thing i can think of is timing may be off slightly but it really seems more like a carb issue.
1978 AMF Roadmaster
1980 Puch Magnum II
nickbarnabe
Net Rider

re: Need Help with my 1978 AMF

Postby Jim C. » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Since you've done all the usual checks and they came out good, it sounds like a classic case of bad crank seals. The originals wouldn't be sealing well by now. Eventually the engine will stop running while you're riding and be difficult to start again. I don't know how hard they are to replace on that engine. Hopefully a Minarelli expert reads this.
Good luck with it!
I was told if you stroke it more than twice it's a sin.
Jim C.
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders