Breaking in a piston

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Breaking in a piston

Postby jack12 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 pm

I have a knew piston in my moped what is the best way to run it in? some say do it slowly some dont ? thanks
jack12
Net Rider

re: Breaking in a piston

Postby John » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:18 pm

I do hard heat cycles but there is always a nay sayer! Google, then make you decision. We can't tell you one way or another. I have never broken a bike in easy.... ride it like you stole it, but make sure you have the right oil/gas mixture and jetted properly with the proper plug for you bike. Get 'er done!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby greenhead » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm new to this site and Mopeds in general, so grain of salt. I just got started in mopeds last year and have done two E50 rebuilds, with new kits, just like the previous poster I ride them hard and at 240lbs they get abused. I used this post from 1977 and I think its been part of the secret to my success of no seizes. https://www.1977mopeds.com/blog/2011/03 ... r-success/ . Without a tachometer I don't know how you would do a graduated break-in.
greenhead
Net Rider

Re: Breaking in a piston

Postby xrongor » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:52 pm

jack12 wrote:I have a knew piston in my moped what is the best way to run it in? some say do it slowly some dont ? thanks

i doubt you will find things different here. some say slowly, some say quickly. the one thing i think we all agree upon is that you need to break it in with actual oil based out of the ground 2 stroke oil and not to use synthetic oil.
"In this world there's two kinds of people... Those with loaded guns, and those who dig." -- Blondie to Tuco
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby Ike » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:52 am

I rode a brand new Tomos wide open for six days from Ohio to Florida with Synthetic 2 stroke oil
That was six years ago. That bike is still running strong today.
I say run it wide open straight out of the box and don`t worry about it.

Ike
Only God can make a tree....
and only Tomos can make a Moped!
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby TPR950H » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm

related question, lets say i got another cylinder (used, but new to me). is it safe to run my old piston or do i need to get another piston and break it in with the cylinder simultaneously?
TPR950H
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Probably want a light honing of the cylinder and new rings. Check big and small bearing tolerances.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders