D&S Mopeds

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

D&S Mopeds

Postby JeffWebb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:00 am

Greetings, I'm a new member here and I want to relate a saga. I purchased a fully restored and nice moped from a small company in New Jersey that buys and restores and refurbishes mopeds. D&S Mopeds (Dan and Steve) here is their website:[url]http://www.njusedmopeds.com/home[/url]
Very nice fellows and very amicable........................... but there is a problem. I have found out that the moped that I purchased was purchased by them from somebody that was the son of a man that was storing his mopeds. The paperwork that I got from them was inaccurate (bogus) and I have had contact with the original owner that told me that he was told that the mopeds were discarded (which he wasn't happy about, but he wasn't going to get after his friend. Then he found out that the bike is still on the road) It turns out that I went back to D&S and have made over 20 phone calls and text messages and several emails to them and I'm getting a run around and promises and now I hear from Steve that tells me that this is my problem and if I don't want to ride the bike anymore that I should just sell it for parts. There were a total of three bikes in that batch that they bought and all three were sold by them to different customers. I'm screwed!
I live in New York and NY requires only a bill of sale for registration, but NJ requires a title. The original owner still has the title and is only willing to part with it for a price (he doesn't want the bike back). I have a registration, but now that is questionable.
Any advice? Has anyone here dealt with these people before? Should I call NJ State Police? Is this a case of a stolen vehicle or just a misrepresentation? I know I'm getting screwed no matter how this turns out, but now I'm mad and I want these b*st*rds to pay for it.
There are two other mopeds out there that they sold that the new owners(?) are going to be getting some upsetting news about.
Any thoughts?
"There is no expediant to which man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking" -Sir Joshua Reynolds
JeffWebb
Net Rider

re: D&S Mopeds

Postby mopedlar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Please post your experience with Dan & Steve in the General Forum on www.mopedarmy.com. Dan is a frequent poster on that site. Maybe once you expose his antics, he will be shamed to do the right thing. He is not liked by most people in the moped community.

Good Luck!
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JeffWebb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Thank you Mopedlar, I did just that and already have gotten some feedback. This is really a very nice moped and I paid a very high price for it ($1000) for a 14 year old moped. The engine was recently rebuilt at Second Stroke and it runs very well. I am having issues with the horn and the signal lights, but that's academic because I don't want to ride it on the road until I find out where I stand with this. Then if I keep it I'll get those bugs worked out.
I currently has plates on it and I have a registration, but if it is flagged as stolen or "of questionable ownership" I really don't want to get caught motoring around on it. I run it daily and up and down my street (it's a private street) just to make certain that it keeps up. But I'm almost 60 years old and I don't want a toy to take off road, I want a means of transportation.
"There is no expediant to which man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking" -Sir Joshua Reynolds
JeffWebb
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:19 am

Hope you get it sorted, got a pic of the ped. Lots of action on MA about D&S Mopeds.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby xrongor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:31 pm

my 2 cents...

stop working on it and call the police. fraud is fraud. there are more bikes out there. get your money back and deal with the actual owner and let the scumbag that sold you this ped deal with the consequences of his illegal actions. if you are afraid to 'lose' this bike just remember: you cant lose what you never had and this bike is still not yours. the sooner you realize that the easier it will be on you.

good luck!
randy
"In this world there's two kinds of people... Those with loaded guns, and those who dig." -- Blondie to Tuco
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby JeffWebb » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Yes, thanks . I am currently resolving this with the original owner who understands my situation. It may cost me a few more dollars (on top of the already too high a price that I paid), but the alternative is to lose it all and I can't afford that. New Jersey is a strange state when it comes to ownership laws. They demand a title on mopeds, but once they find one that is without (even when the person purchased it honestly), that person has to eat it. The previous owner is being pretty decent so far, so we'll see.

Once this is resolved, he will report the others as stolen along with the other items (which were all purchased for a grand total of $275) None of the bikes were running and had severe rust and dirt, The one that I purchased has a rebuilt engine and has been serviced through and through, so it looks nothing like it did when it was first purchased from storage (I have pictures of it. This fellow Dan was bragging about the deal he got on MoPed Army and posted pictures). If I'd seen those pictures, I never would have bought this. It looked like a find out of "American Pickers".
JeffWebb
Net Rider

Postby Ike » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Why do all the crooked moped dealers end up in New Jersey ???

Ike
Only God can make a tree....
and only Tomos can make a Moped!
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: D&S Mopeds

Postby JeffWebb » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Ike wrote:Why do all the crooked moped dealers end up in New Jersey ???

Ike

I don't know if that is entirely fair. There are lots of good folks in Jersey. But this guy is clearly not an honorable dealer. Even if I don't come out of this alright, I have at least warned enough people about this guy (and his partner, I think) so that that avenue may seem very short for him. I won't be happy if I have to absorb this loss. I have no money to buy anything else to get around. I'm an adjunct college professor (and have been for the past 30+ years) and I don't earn the big bucks that the full timers do and I have no benefits. I am paid by semester and my next paycheck won't be coming in till October and I put aside about $1500 out of my budget to buy a moped. I have nothing extra unless I win the Lottery.
They were very smooth and I actually liked them. My "crook" meter didn't go off and I thought that they were being helpful. WRONG!
The moped that they sold me actually runs well and has a lot of pep. It's just too bad that they didn't have legal ownership of it (which they knew when they sold it to me). Of course I didn't know. I thought that I was buying from reputable dealers.
Oh well, life lesson even at my age.
JeffWebb
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders