Detecting which type of moped it is.

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Detecting which type of moped it is.

Postby simmisj » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:02 am

Hi.
I recently bought a moped. The model is Piaggio Ciao but I can't identify it further. Can someone help me identify it?
If you want further information then please ask. I am very new to riding mopeds and I simply don't know what information I should provide you with to help you, help me.

EDIT: Ehem.. I did not see that the maximum file size can only be 256kb. I will try to shrink the picture but maybe you can point me in a direction of what I should search for on the bike to identify it. Where is the registration number printed on the chassis for an example?

:)

Extra question: How should you properly shut down the engine? (two stroke)

Thank you in advance.
simmisj
Net Rider

re: Detecting which type of moped it is.

Postby TPR950H » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 am

hit the kill switch to shut down the engine. vespa piaggio ciao:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Vespa_Ciao
TPR950H
Net Rider

Postby John » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:02 pm

Or choke it.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby simmisj » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 am

Sorry for not answering sooner. Have been busy with school work.

Okay, so it does not hurt the moped at all to always choke it when I want to shut it off? That's what I have been doing so far.

It is a Piaggio Ciao but I have not been able to locate the serial number that I need to give to my insurance company. Also, I don't know how I can figure out what year it is or a specific model. According to the manual there are models called: P-PV-PX and PXV. Any idea how I can figure this out?

Here is a picture of it: Image

Thanks
Simmi
simmisj
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:03 am

Sorry can't help you on the vin and year. Try Moped Army site and throw the question out about those 2. Also the file there with photos may help on pinning down the year for you. You need to register on their site to ask any questions etc. Good luck.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: Detecting which type of moped it is.

Postby JD » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm

simmisj wrote:Okay, so it does not hurt the moped at all to always choke it when I want to shut it off? That's what I have been doing so far.

The very worst thing that might happen by choking it is that you could gunk up the spark plug a bit, a problem which is quickly rectified by (1) making sure you get the engine nice and hot the next time you start it before you shut it down again, (2) taking out the plug and cleaning the firing tip with alcohol, brake cleaner or mineral spirits, or (3) if worse comes to worst, replacing the plug from time-to-time (for the whopping cost of $2.50, and which you should probably do once per season, anyway.)

BTW, you could also stop the engine by pulling the spark plug wire off the plug, but don't get yourself a shock in the process.

Don't worry, be happy.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby simmisj » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks for that info JD.
simmisj
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders