'99 LX HELP!

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

'99 LX HELP!

Postby Polio » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Hey there, I have a '99 LX(John, you'd recognize her) and I have a little issue with the bearing in my rear wheel hub. The issue is that its destroyed! I was turning a corner and slid out on a utility grate, slid and whacked my rear wheel at a funny angle. Anyways, its destroyed. Just finally had the time to take the rear wheel off(had been riding it for a couple of weeks since the "incident") and out came all the bearings. Trashed! Been looking for that specific replacement bearing but haven't had any luck. I'm considering just buying a new set of wheels. Anyone out there know where I could get that bearing or have an old Tomos rear wheel they can part with?
Also, anyone in Toronto still in to mopeds other than me these days? It would be really nice to have someone to talk 'peds with.
Thanks.
Polio
Net Rider

re: '99 LX HELP!

Postby John » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:06 am

Wow, she still is around! Bearing is pretty standard as it is a 6201 2RS which can be had in SKF, Fafnir FAG to just name a few. Stay away from the cheap Chinese ones. You will need to knock the outer race out of the hub if it hasn't spun itself and worn the aluminium. Let me know how you make out. Go to a bearing supply place and they will have what you need in a quality bearing. Might want to do both of them while you are at it and pick two for the front too.
Manual for the Tomos A35 in the repair section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Polio » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks, John. I found a place in Woodbride that has them. I'm going to go now and fix her up. I love that moped like you would not believe. I ride her everyday. She doesn't look quite like she used to but she's running better than ever.
Polio
Net Rider

Postby Polio » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:43 am

Alright! So the boys at Ontario Belting & Power Transmission Co., Ltd hooked me up with some sweet, and very affordable, bearings for the hub of my rear wheel. Took about an hour and a bit to get everything back together but she's riding smoother than ever now. Didn't have time to change the front bearings but I bought a couple to do that later in the week. I'll post some pics of the ped later this week also.
Polio
Net Rider

Postby Polio » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:53 am

John, which pipe did you have on when this photo was taken? Better than a Bi-Turbo? Thinking about getting a new pipe. Suggestions? Difficult to mount?
Polio
Net Rider

Postby JD » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:48 pm

I've only seen one LX that looks like that one!

Still have that 20-tooth (uh, oh, another hill...) rear sprocket on there?
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Got to run at those hills, right JD. Miss that bike may do another just for shits and giggles. The pipe in the picture is a Technigas Next, with the raw metal finish which I painted with high heat paint. Still have it but the flange needs to be re-welded as it cracked in half. BiTurbo which you are running which was new when you bought is a higher speed pipe when it hits its rev range. You have the 22 tooth OEM sprocket in the box of parts I gave you. Will make the bike more manageable in the city stop and go but will give away some of your top speed.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:19 pm

Having experienced both the Tecnigas and the Biturbo, I'd take the Tecnigas anytime. If there's a difference in performance, it's pretty subtle. But the Tecnigas is helluva lot quieter than the Biturbo. I've a Biturbo on my '99 TT Classic and I can't stand the racket from it. Always have to wear earplugs!

I wish I had swapped it with the Tecnigas on Lisa's Sprint before I sold it. I don't ride the Classic much anymore, but I'd probably put a Tecnigas on it if it were still my main ride.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Repack the Bi-turbo. Motocross riders do it all the time. Fibreglas (fiberglass) comes in bags just for that purpose.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:38 pm

I bought a new packing for it. Didn't help much.
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby Polio » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:13 pm

I still have that 20 on! There's only one real hill that I have to deal with here in the city and even from a dead start I pass other peds and people on bikes no problem. I've had friends who have ridden scooters for years comment on the acceleration of my ped and how responsive it is compared to their scooters.
I just ordered a Tecno Estoril pipe from Treatland. I don't mind the volume of the Bi-Turbo(loud pipes save lives) but I really dig the look of the Edtoril and hope it will give me better performance across the board. Wondering if I should change the jet as well? Haven't checked what is currently installed. John, you remember what size jet is in there? Have any suggestions about a better size for the pipe I have coming or should I just leave it the way it is?
Polio
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 am

Think it was a 62 for that delLorto SHA, will work for you with the pipe you ordered for southern Ontario. Hope it is coming USPS or you will get raped by the UPS guy! With that stock carb jetted properly you can have all the speed the bike will produce. Synthetic oil is you friend at 40:1.

You will need to modify the hanger for that pipe.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Polio » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm just hoping that I don't have to bend the pipe at all. Should fit ok, I gather. The mounting bracket will be easy to figure out. Can't wait to get it. Will post pics when everything's set up.
Polio
Net Rider

Postby Polio » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:14 pm

So here she is... Pretty stripped down now. That new Techno exhaust is absolutely amazing! My acceleration is improved, mid-band is way better and top speed is just nuts! I basically got the speedometer to do a full 360. I reach what was my top speed with that Bi-Turbo was and it's like the afterburners come on and I just keep accelerating! Amazing! I think next season I'm going to switch my brakes to calipers so I don't kill myself!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polio
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I will buy back the fairing and rear brake light mounting if you are willing. Water splash back on the plug area and carb will kill her in the rainy season coming.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders