'99 LX HELP!

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: '99 LX HELP!

Postby Polio » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Which fairing do you mean? the orange one isn't orange anymore and I think it's pretty cracked up. I got rid of the tail light mounting completely after my plate got got stuck in my back tire one too many times. It was more trouble than it was worth.
Net Rider

re: '99 LX HELP!

Postby JD » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 pm

When I hear about a performance improvement of that magnitude, I can't help but wonder if you're running too lean with that setup. An engine that is operating too lean will run like a scalded cat until it ceases. Result: Dead cat.

I'd suggest doing some plug chops the next time you get her warmed up. It's possible that the new setup needs a larger jet.

These things can be screwy. I just replaced the carb on my '99 Classic because the old one was having a problem with the idle that I couldn't seem to get right. The new carb is exactly the same model as the old one, but it ran terribly when I used the #74 jet from the old one. So I put in the #68 that came with the new carb and now it runs great with a perfect plug chop.

...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders