Tomos Mopeds Set To Close The Factory

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: Tomos Mopeds Set To Close The Factory

Postby mopedlar » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:05 am

Ike, how much assembly is required upon receipt? How is parts support? Is there an owner's or service manual available? What colors does it come in? You can really get me one for $1,399 delivered to my house?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:11 am

John, it's lucky for you that you've got a "gray market" supplier who smuggles stuff over the border for you. :-)

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:06 pm

You bringing me something special i don't know off?
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: Tomos Mopeds Set To Close The Factory

Postby JD » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:02 pm

John wrote:You bringing me something special i don't know off?

Only by request. You need sumthin'?
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby tortoise » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Ike wrote:brand new Tomos Nitro 150, 1,399.00 delivered to your door.

Please provide updated information about your business status . . ikesbikes.com website domain appears to be discontinued. What is the context of your "Im not gone yet" comment in a previous thread?
http://www.mopedriders.org/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Would these scooters be drop-shipped from a warehouse affiliate? Would payment be made via charge card or PayPal for consumer protection? Your eBay feedback profile is excellent! Just trying to figure out what's going on.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ ... world=true
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby Ike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Sorry for the slow reply. Been on vacation in Florida last two weeks.

1. Yes, my website is down , but i don`t know why ?
2. Im not gone yet means just that. Im still in business, but not as much as before. Trying to sell off all my odd ball parts but will continue to sell Tomos Mopeds, Scooters and parts unless they go out of business.
3. Scooters, Mopeds and parts are drop shipped directly from Tomos USA in Greenville SC.

Ike
Only God can make a tree....
and only Tomos can make a Moped!
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:07 am

Tomos mopeds IMO are the best. My 09' Streetmate R went wide open for 24 hours completing the Lake Erie Loop 677 miles. I dunno about everything else but I like the looks of the Streetmate R. No hating scooters just a moped man. Wardie
wardie
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm

My biggest issue with Tomos peds are the cork lined clutches. If it weren't for the clutches, they're hard to beat with respect to reliability. I have two LX's and both have been solid bikes for all the years I've owned them. Both have relined clutches and I only run Type A tranny fluid in the tranny.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby tortoise » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:57 pm

It appears the Tomos USA website in no longer in English . . .

http://www.tomosusa.com
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby tortoise » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 am

tortoise wrote:It appears the Tomos USA website in no longer in English

Must have been a technical issue . . back to English today.
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby moebobbie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Ike wrote:OK GUYS, I don`t know how true this is, but i do know there will be no 2013 Tomos mopeds. But, the warehouse is full right now. So, if you Tomos lovers are smart, you will order at least a half dozen new Tomos mopeds from me and keep them in the box for about 20 years and you will thank me. Of course, i won`t be here to to hear it, but i know you will be glad you did.
So contact me if you want a hellava deal on six or more new Tomos mopeds while they last

Thanks guys for 12 years of pleasant dealings with loyal customers.

Ike

Ike....You're such a Oppurtunistic businessman....hehehehehe Moe
Owner of a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec, a nice little 1995 Tomos Targa TTLX (Baba Looey) and now a very pretty 2008 Tomos LX (Bunny)
moebobbie
Regional Rider

Postby crankorange80 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 am

I used to own a Tomos two stoke moped in the 1990's. I liked it. it was a 3 speed auto 50cc. great little bike. since I didn't know much about bikes back then I sold it when it went wrong but I wish I had kept it.

Is tomos the same company it was 20-25 years ago or has it been taken over by someone else?

Also, Someone spoke about chinease mopeds in this thread. I thought chinease mopeds where made of poor low quality metals and are unreliable.

I have never owned a chinease moped but are they any good or not worth touching? I would buy a tomos if I knew where I could buy one here in the UK. I haven't seen one here for years and I didn't know they still made them.
crankorange80
Net Rider

Postby JD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:14 am

Tomos has been selling mopeds in the U.S. without interruption since the 1970's. They're easy to find over here, both new and used, plus parts and service remain available. It's really the only game in town when it comes to a pure "moped."

Chinese (not be confused with Taiwanese) scooters are iffy. It's not that they're all bad, but quality varies tremendously from one company to another. Parts and service can be problematic as well. In general, the bikes being built in the PRC by companies based elsewhere (e.g., Japan, Korea, Taiwan) are pretty decent. For example, SYM (Taiwanese) is building some scooters in the PRC and they're just fine. And they come with the SYM service and parts distribution system.

I don't know what's available in the UK, so I cannot comment on them.

jd
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby birdmove » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 pm

I was looking on ebay and see that there are new Tomos mopeds for sale there. I think the Sprint is $1099 + $130 freight. I messaged the seller to see if that $130 would get the Sprint to the Big Island of Hawaii near Hilo.
So, it isn't know just what is going on with Tomos, but there will be no 2013 models? It would be a shame if they went out of business. Mopeds here, after an initial safety check, then registering, and installing a license or sticker, don't have to have yearly tags or inspections, and don't have to be insured. I figure that would save as much as $200 a year compared to a motorcycle. I'm not totally unfamiliar with two strokes. At 59 years old and after riding for over 50 years now, I have owned a few two stroke bikes.
I wouldn't mind picking up a Tomos. The reason I'm looking at the Sprint, is it's the simpler pre-mix model. I've heard the auto-lube system on those models that use them, can be a problem. Otherwise, I might like one of those mopeds.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
birdmove
Net Rider

Postby JD » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Tomos USA is certainly acting as though they don't plan to go anywhere. They're active on Facebook and they've got a new dude leading the U.S. operation.

The oil injection system isn't as troublesome as some would lead you to believe. Many riders disable the system because they don't trust it or want to have manual control over the mix. That said, I haven't heard many stories of the system ACTUALLY failing on anyone.

One advantage to the ST over the Sprint is the former's turn signal system. I think that's a major plus. It's not complicated to disconnect the oil injection system and remove the oil tank (to give you extra storage space under the seat.)

jd
JD
Master Regional Rider

PreviousNext

Return to Moped Riders