General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: Tomos Mopeds Set To Close The Factory

Postby tortoise » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:26 am

tortoise
Net Rider

Postby birdmove » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks for the information on the crank bearings. Don't believe the Tomos is for me with such a fundamental flaw. No way should a customer spend the money for a new moped and have to pull the engine, split the cases, and replace the main bearings before they can expect the thing to last.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
birdmove
Net Rider

Postby moebobbie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:40 pm

Jon, Don't let tortoise scare you off of owning a GREAT bike. The A55 and A35 engines have proven reliability over the years and have provided their owners with many years and miles of problem free fun.
Failures can occur. However in my experience most failures of this type are on kitted engines running at RPMs in excess of design limits or lack of and improper maintenance.

Moe
Owner of a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec, a nice little 1995 Tomos Targa TTLX (Baba Looey) and now a very pretty 2008 Tomos LX (Bunny)
moebobbie
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:51 pm

I must agree with Moe, having had three Tomos A35 bikes, all kitted.

The engines on all three were flawless. The only problems I had related to having kitted engines putting out more torque than the transmission and brakes were designed to handle. Result was premature clutch wear (at about 3,000 miles) and brake wear (at about the same.) But those are gradual wear issues, not failures.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:03 pm

I have been selling Tomos mopeds for 13 years and have never seen a crank bearing failure yet. I saw one highly modified engine that was accidently run without oil and the crank bearings were rough, but still intact.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby birdmove » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 am

What about the autolube systems on these? With the Sprint, of course, it's a moot point. But that is the only Tomos without the system. From what I've read, it goes from one owner whose system failed on the ride home, to others that say, no problem, and all points in between.
And the other thing...is Tomos shutting down?? With the long history of Tomos, it would be a dam shame if that happened.

And thanks to all who have been answering my questions. I am not very Tomos-educated, but am an old motorcyclist that has always enjoyed riding--whether on large or small bikes. It's all good.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
birdmove
Net Rider

Postby moebobbie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi Jon, Same as I mentioned above. I personally have met 3 gentlemen that have ridden some long distance adventures and had no issues with the injection systems. 2 of them rode across the USA from New Haven CT to the Santa Monica pier in CA in 21 days. And the other rode from Vancouver, BC Canada to Montreal, Quebec. All carrying heavy loads. If that isn't amazing, I don't know what is.

Moe
Owner of a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec, a nice little 1995 Tomos Targa TTLX (Baba Looey) and now a very pretty 2008 Tomos LX (Bunny)
moebobbie
Regional Rider

Postby JunkyardDog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:40 pm

I have put loads of miles on 2 Tomos mopeds (with the oil injection removed, I had it fail once, and after looking it over, decided it was to crappy to trust) But NOTHING else went wrong in over 20,000 miles, and that includes the clutches. These were ST models, which supposedly have a 220 pound load limit, and I usually carried close to 280 pounds on them. I did have to replace the shocks with super heavy duty Puch shocks, which were not only stronger, but 1" longer, to keep the rear fender from dragging on the tire. But they just kept going and going. I'd pick up a new Sprint right now, but I can't find any left with pedals, only pegs. Not really a big difference in AZ, as they all have to be registered, plated and insured, but I like old school mopeds. MOtor+PEDals= moped to me.
JunkyardDog
Net Rider

Previous

Return to Moped Riders