Larry.... you OK

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Larry.... you OK

Postby John » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:32 am

Just thinking of all the rotten weather on the east coast and was wondering how Larry and Kim were doing. Any news out there that anyone can share. Hope all is well.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

re: Larry.... you OK

Postby mopedlar » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:33 am

Hi John. Kim and I are fine. Our house and property were spared the wrath of the storm. We were without power for 9 days. It got pretty dang cold here, but we bought a generator last Sunday and that helped quite a bit those last couple of days. My brother, who lives about 45 minutes away, still doesn't have power.

Kim and I actually evacuated our home 2 days before the storm because we feared we would be flooded out. Luckily, we didn't get the rain they predicted, just the wind. We stayed at Kim's parent's house in Rockland county, NY until after the storm was over. It's been a rough week and a half, but there are a lot more people in much worse shape than us.

Thanks for inquiring about our welfare!
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:11 am

Glad to hear everything went well, or almost well! We were thinking of you and that stream behind the house. Never hurts to have a generator these days as the weather and other conditions can always throw us a curve.

I purchased one several years ago when we had a land claim dispute here in Caledonia and the local reserve burned out the major transformer for the area. Two weeks without power is not fun, but it kept the freezer and fridge functioning along with some lights. BBQ and gas fireplace were a god send though.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:49 am

My buddy is an electrician, so he wired my generator to power up the whole house. We ran it about 6 hrs. a day, just enough to keep the house warm and take hot showers. Gas station lines were extremely long here, so I tried to limit the amount of hours the generator ran in order to conserve gas and avoid waiting on the lines. I also rode my scooter quite a bit in order to save gas. I'm not used to riding in the winter, so I froze my butt off. Temps are expected to be in the 60's the next couple of days, so I think I'll take advantage of it while I still can.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:12 am

Glad to hear you and Kim "weathered out" Sandy. It's sad our government/FEMA can't deliver services better than they have.

A newws report said parts of NY were without electricity longer than areas affected by Katrina.

Hey John I'm looking forward to stopping by next year.

Slugo is hibernating in a warm garage. My wife said he gets treated pretty good. Her car is in our regular garage no heat :)
wardie
Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders