Time to kit or?

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Time to kit or?

Postby 84400 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Been a while since i posted...... Mopeds have been my sole transport for the last 4 or 5 years. Currently I ride a 76 maxi daily to and from work which is about 6 miles each way. It has been very reliable aside from the ocasional fouled plug or clogged jet. I have 3 Puch's but ride the 76 because it has been so reliable. The only issue I realy have with it is how much of a dog it is. I mean it is a moped so I don't expect alot, but I really would feel better and safer pulling hills at a higher speed and not have to be running WOT @25mph just to be passed by cars. I really just want my ped to be able to cruise at 30-35 and maybe top out at 40-45.

I have been playing around with a few basic things like rejetting my bing carbs, tried a 14mm with intake but lost bottom end. I have also opened up my stock exhaust but did not see much diffrance. I think for what I want pipes and carbs just are not going to do it.

Seems to me like a kit might be the best solution. A co-worker who races MB5's in a 50cc class said he likes Polini for a quality kit. I want something that I can put together tune and run with good reliablility. Is there another recomendation beside Polini? There is a ton of info out there but it seems most people just wanna go fast.

So I am looking to:
-Pull hills @ more then 15mph if possible
-good stop light acell
-Keep up with traffic at 30-35mph but not be running WOT
-Top speed around 40-45 but will rarely use it

For riding these past two winters in the north east have rocked. Still riding to work everyday!

Thanks for any input
1976 Maxi the DD
1977 Maxi Lux
1980 PUCH MAG II Totally beat but my first ped.. (soon to be rebuilt but probibly not restored)
Net Rider

re: Time to kit or?

Postby silverfox » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Are you running a pipe? Or a stock exhaust?

A polini kit with a pipe and a 14-15mm carb should get you what you want.

Or get that two speed unit going.
silverfox
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders