Deadbeat Buyers....

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Deadbeat Buyers....

Postby mopedlar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:49 am

Anyone experience deadbeat buyers? You know the type...the person who says he is going to show up at a specific time and doesn't show up. Doesn't even bother to call. There's also the person who sets up a day/time and then sends you an email in the middle of the night the day of the appointment and has something "urgent" pop up. Then there's the genius who shows up without a truck or van and wants to ride your bike 2 hours to his home with your plate and insurance on the bike.

What happened to the good old days when people actually did what they said they said they were going to do.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

re: Deadbeat Buyers....

Postby John » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 am

Oh ya that happens. Also the old days of a hand shake deal is gone too because of deadbeats.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Hodaka Bob » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:50 am

Do you have X? I'll be there to get it (no show).
Hodaka Bob
County Line Cycles Grovertown, IN
County Line Cycles
11860 E. 50 North
Grovertown, IN 46531
574-767-0660
www.countylinecyclesin.com
Hodaka Bob
Net Rider

Postby tortoise » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Consider auction consignment if you are actually willing to accept a free-market bid and the selling fee. May be worth it to avoid the wackos and potential liability issues.
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 pm

I thought about listing my bikes on ebay, but then I'd have to deal with the risk of a bidder reneging on his winning bid because he can't pick it up or it's too expensive to ship. People tend to bid first then look into shipping costs AFTER the auction is over.

I'd just assume keep my bikes than deal with some of these wackos.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby slipperygrip » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 pm

There's also a lot of scammers out there too..I had a guy want to send me a check and then would send you too much.So you then send difference back,but the money or his account is bogus..I had a guy try this on Craigslist..I got specious right after he wanted to send me a check...Who buy's a old outboard without looking first?He tried saying he lived in a town I was familiar with and he wasn't to hot on finding place's there...

Also have you had questions?I am fixing a bike like yours can you tell me .......

I think a lot of people need a class called basic thinking skills...
slipperygrip
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Now I'm receiving emails from people who tell me to email them right back, and when I do, I never hear anything from them again. Why do people feel it is fine to waste other people's time? This "selling thing" is for the birds :-(
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:45 pm

That stuff goes on all the time with our business. People will fill out a form on the Internet, tell us all their dog's issues, and give us their contact information. We'll call them right away and the call goes into voicemail, and we never get a call back. We'll send an email and never get a response to that, either.

The worst part is that some of the mechanisms we use to create leads cost us every time a lead comes in, whether we reach the buttheads or not.

We had to institute a cancellation policy with a $150 cancellation fee and require a credit card number just to book an appointment because so many people were "no shows." It definitely sucks to drive 40 miles to a house for a pre-arranged, confirmed appointment and have no one home.

But it's the way of the world. The important part is learning how to shrug it off and move forward. If I held a grudge against each client or almost-client who treated me rudely, I'd end up slitting my own throat.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 pm

If I did this as a business, I would be a little thicker skinned. But being that it's just a random sale, I don't have to like or tolerate it. I hate to say it, but some people just plain ol' suck.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders