Yamaha ms50 spark plug

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Yamaha ms50 spark plug

Postby crankorange80 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:10 am

Hi again. I haven't visited this website in ages but thought I would say hellooo again. I own just 3 mopeds. Two suzuki fz50s and one yamaha ms50 which I just started up for the first time today in months.

I can't understand why one of the last owners fitted it with a ngk- bpr6hsa spark plug where as far as I know it should be fitted with a ngk- bpr6hs.

Ive only onwed the ms50 for 12 months and in that time I have only rode 10 miles on it. Its in pritty good condition for it age and I hope to keep it that way by keeping its miles low. I need to ride it this coming summer to find what niggels it may have but would any one here have an idea to why it has slightly different spec plug to the one it should be? Im only guessing but is the bpr6hsa a hotter running plug than the bpr6hs.
crankorange80
Net Rider

re: Yamaha ms50 spark plug

Postby JD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:32 am

It's the same temperature. See here

Don't sweat it. Maybe it's all the guy had. Just put in the right plug.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:01 am

6 is already a hot plug, lower number hotter the NGK designation. Be careful you don't hole the piston.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby crankorange80 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:19 pm

I have put the correct plug in know (the 6) and the engine appears to start first time where as before it took a while to start with the other plug in. mind you I have only let it run for 30 secs while sat in the garage. I will find out how it runs later once the summer arrives proper and temps rise for more rider friendly riding conditions come about.
crankorange80
Net Rider

Postby JD » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Sometimes just having a fresh plug makes all the difference.
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders