a run out for summer and sorting things out before hand

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Postby crankorange80 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Two years ago in mid summer I did a 200 mile round trip on a 1980 suzuki fz50 to london and back. That was a fun ride and by the time I had got home I really knew where my bottom was. lol

This summer I would like to do the same run again but on my knew to me and untested 1985 yamaha ms50 which I have only ridden 10 miles in the past 12 months. it's in fair good condition for its age. looks to have been looked after by its past owners, no rust and all the chrome shines bright.

Ive noticed a number of niggels that will have to be sorted before I attempt to go anywhere further away than outside my home town on it.

The air filter has a neck that connects between the filter and carb. the neck is made from a hard stiff kind of rubber/plastic and one end of the neck does not fit tightly on to the carb and therefore air is being sucked in at this point! no matter how hard I push and twist with the carb and filter in situ I can not get the neck to sit tight on the carb. I tried to fix it but perhaps the neck has become mishaped in some way over the years and I really want to fix it.

where can I buy parts here in the UK for this bike. there does't seem so many parts for this bike on ebay.

also, once the air bleed/mixture screw in fully screwed in how many turns out should it be turned?

The flashers or direction indicators can be seen cleary at night but are too dim to be seen in day light. Ive looked at the bulbs and they are clear not burnt out. there is a knew fully charged batt on the bike so it has plenty of power. what could be the reason behind the dim flashers?

These are just a few things I will need to fix before it has its next mot or road safety test as I don't want a fail on that.

suggestion welcome,

regards,

orange80
crankorange80
Net Rider

Postby crankorange80 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:51 pm

My 85 yamaha ms50
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crankorange80
Net Rider

re: a run out for summer and sorting things out before hand

Postby crankorange80 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:55 pm

sorry about the pics i didn''t realise they would turn out so big once I posted them.
crankorange80
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Contact Mark Daniels (danny AT mopedland DOT ukfsn DOT org) who is one of the organizers of the EACC and a parts seller for various mopeds and auto cycles in the UK. He is in Ipswich. Very knowledgeable and may be able to point you in the right direction.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby xrongor » Mon May 06, 2013 2:32 am

have you tried a yamaha dealer? they still make parts for these bikes.
"In this world there's two kinds of people... Those with loaded guns, and those who dig." -- Blondie to Tuco
xrongor
Net Rider

Re: re: a run out for summer and sorting things out before h

Postby crankorange80 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:05 am

xrongor wrote:have you tried a yamaha dealer? they still make parts for these bikes.

Hi. If life would be only be so easy! It would be great if I could just walk into a yamaha dealer and ask for parts for this bike. If I did that today Im sure I would get some odd looks from the dealer when asking about parts for a bike that has been out of production for some 20-25 years.

I have been collecting parts where I can here and there as I go along for this bike and when they show up on ebay. There doesn't appear to be a mass of new old stock and patten parts available for this bike where as there seems an quite a number of parts around for my suzuki fz50.
crankorange80
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders