Moped rider-to-be (again)

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Moped rider-to-be (again)

Postby AlienBZ » Wed May 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi, just stumbled across this site a month or so ago. I have a early 1980's Yamahopper down in our garage, which I haven't droven in over 10 years. Currently the moped needs fixed, Mom and I don't know what's wrong with it nor how to fix it.

We're waiting for my nephew to come down and fix it for us, and I have to renew my license. Yesterday Mom spoke to my sister about getting the moped fixed in the event the nephew doesn't have time (busy as a bee) to come here and fix it, sister (as per Mom's report back to me) said something about taking it to a garage in or near West Mifflin, and also that my license will have to have the name and address changed on it, and notorized.

I've asked Mom about possibility of having nephew putting the moped in the trunk of our car (a Century Buick, year 2000), by laying the bike on its side, and transporting it to a local garage, but Mom told me it might have left over gas (or oil) in the tanks which could cause a fire.

Also I was saving money for a garage mechanist to fix it ($80 put aside for this currently, more funds on the way).

Do you guys have any advice on what we should do?

Thanks in advance.
AlienBZ
Net Rider

re: Moped rider-to-be (again)

Postby John » Wed May 01, 2013 5:01 pm

There is a woek shop manual PDF in the repair section listed in the mast head above.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: Moped rider-to-be (again)

Postby AlienBZ » Wed May 01, 2013 5:27 pm

John wrote:There is a woek shop manual PDF in the repair section listed in the mast head above.

I wasn't thinking of trying to fix it ourselves. Mom doesn't know or wish to learn anything about fixing cars/motorcycles and I only wish to learn how to be a computer tech. But my sister has a hobby in which she buys old cars and restores them for resale, don't know if we should ask her if she can try to fix it or not, or have nephew somehow put it in the trunk or take it to a garage himself or not, have them fix it and then bring it back?

Anyway, mom said something about what sister said that we could do if nephew cannot fix it ((possibly too busy) yesterday but I forgot what.
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Thu May 02, 2013 7:22 pm

<update>

Nephew came over today and he loaded the moped into his truck (it has a sort of a covered-bed in the rear like a station wagon has), said he'd taking the bike with him to work on it up at Civil Air Patrol where he hangs out at during his free time. Also, I think that this will also give him a wonderful opportunity to take it for a test drive around the Allegheny County Airport grounds to see if it runs correctly before he brings it back (so I can prepare to take it out on the road)

This was a surprise (I hadn't expected to see him today).

Yay!!
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Tue May 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Mailed in my license renewal (b/c of legal name change and address change) to harrisburg today. Sign on mailbox said mail pickup 2 pm, envelope mailed about 10:30 am today.

Can any of you penna riders let me know what will happen in how long from today?

Thanks in advance.
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Sun May 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Er, I have a question: I'm thinking of buying a used moped from a local dealer in our area and selling the old moped that's currently at civil air patrol, and my family is stressing the fact that I do not have my license yet - so do I need a current, valid license in order to buy a moped in penna?
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby JD » Sun May 12, 2013 2:15 pm

You would have received the information more quickly by just searching on "Pennsylvania moped laws" in Google.

You never need a license to BUY a moped, but in PA you'll need a basic driver's license to RIDE it legally. Motorcycle endorsement is not necessary.

If you don't have your driver's license yet at age 60, when were you planning on getting it?

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Sun May 12, 2013 7:41 pm

JD wrote:If you don't have your driver's license yet at age 60, when were you planning on getting it?

We just snail mailed in my old license (with my old name/address) on it together with the renewal application (filled out with my new name/address) and a letter of explanation of name/address change, several items of proof of my new name/address, and a check to cover the fee to PennDot in Harrisburg this past Tuesday, May 7th. Should be receiving either the renewed license/camera card in the snail mail the week of May 20 - 25.

Also dropped a message to nephew about the repair status of the moped, am awaiting word from him.

Are there any issues about not having my license by age 60?
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Update as of today:

Nephew showed up yesterday, said the job he was doing on my moped was harder than he thought, also said now he has to put moped back together.

I asked him how long would he estimate I should expect? He said about a week or so. That's about the time it'll be for the stuff about my license renewal to get back to us from Harrisburg, since it was very likely during this week the penn dot people at Harrisburg were processing my license renewal.

P.s. I believe it was solely because I started thinking positive thoughts (mom even has a note on the fridge that says, positive thoughts get positive results), and when Tim (nephew) showed up and answered my questions on the moped repair status this lifted me out of my week long low spirits.
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby moebobbie » Sat May 18, 2013 9:34 am

Positive thoughts are always a good thing Alien. Good Luck to you. Moe
Owner of a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec, a nice little 1995 Tomos Targa TTLX (Baba Looey) and now a very pretty 2008 Tomos LX (Bunny)
moebobbie
Regional Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Also I asked nephew about the possibility of, after he reassembles my current moped, if we could shop for a new moped in order to make it easier on not only mom and I (mom also cannot wait for me to start driving the moped so she wouldn't have to keep driving me places like to bible study, the local Barnes and noble, etc) but also on nephew, since I raised the question that what if this old moped keeps breaking down (sine it's 30 years old) and I have to keep having Tim fix it (and keep waiting awfully long periods of time), and trading this old moped in towards the new moped?

And Tim told me to use the old moped first, I also notified mom about this possibility and she listened, although she told me she doesn't necessarily agree with my idea of buying a new moped.

I wonder, what would you guys say about whether I use the old moped first (until I get back into practice with my moped driver skills) and then looking to trade old moped in towards a new moped, vs keeping the old moped and forget about buying a new moped?

P.s. Mom says it's up to her whether we get a new moped of not, since it's her money that will have to pay for it (while I make monthly payments to her in reimbursement), and I'm living under her roof, so she makes the rules of our home, and is in charge of the money.
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Sat May 18, 2013 8:41 pm

For more info, this current moped that we have now, was purchased brand new in about 1980 - 81, the other person in our life (she's no longer living with us anymore) had it before me, she was driving it but she kept having accidents (driving into potholes and falling as a consequence, wrecking the headlight,) and before dad took the moped off of her for good, she thought she would be able to pass what seemed to be a slow moving dump truck that was in her lane in front of her, but instead of successfully passing the truck, she hit a car in the next lane as she tried to pass, and she fell on the pavement with the bike, injuring herself, besides mom and dad said that she was careless and wild while riding that moped, so that's why they took it off of her for good.

At the time of that accident, she had been driving the moped for about 2 - 3 years total, including time spent driving with the learner's permit.

And all this time I sort of lived in her shadow, since it was all about her, as my parents catered mostly to her, and that time that she had that accident in which she injured herself, after I heard the story of what happened, then three years after this accident and how dad was trying to fix the moped for her about this time of the year in 1986, although she never did get the bike back as per dad permission to let her drive it again, well, dad stopped trying to fix it for her during that summer of 86, so I assumed she really damaged the bike that day when she tried to pass that truck, although I understand that she was able to drive herself home the 5 or so miles from the spot where she had this accident.

Thus I do not know what was broken/damaged on the bike, nor do i know what was wrong with it, and nephew did tell us several days ago that the job he was doing on trying to fix the bike was more complicated than he thought it would be - thus my question in the first place about whether we should trade it in towards a new moped or keep this old bike?

P.s. although I had to address the change of name/address on my license renewal form, this other person was another family member and she and I shared the moped, she and I each had our own licenses while living at our old address, but after we moved this other person did something (which I'd rather not say) that caused us so much shame that a name change was necessary after we had evicted her from the household owing in part to the deep shame we felt.
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun May 19, 2013 5:33 am

"As the world turns". This is a real soapy. How about a picture of you and the moped so that all of us here can get a feel for the real story.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Sun May 19, 2013 10:55 am

John wrote:This is a real soapy. How about a picture of you and the moped so that all of us here can get a feel for the real story.

Why?

How would me including such a picture give you this feel for the story?
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 am

As the young folks say....."pics or it didn't happen".
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders