Moped rider-to-be (again)

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: Moped rider-to-be (again)

Postby AlienBZ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Ok, since I found out from a Yamaha Vino user's post somewhere online tonite (I didn't think of bookmarking that site, think it was at a dealership hear us, googled but can no longer find that particular user testimony since I forgot the particular search query I used when I did find it) that someone here in Penna bought a Yamaha Vino knowing absolutely nothing about it, he found out that he had to get a special license (motorcycle license) for it, however he had his temporary learner's permit, which allowed him to ride it.

That said, if I get a yamaha vino, I'll have to wait even more (a third set of 10 business days) if I we do go (now, I'm not saying we will, this is just a thought) and look for/buy a yamaha vino, I'll have to get a motorcycle license (currently the license I'm getting now is a regular license - and I've already waited a full 2 - 3 weeks for Harrisburg to get back to us last month, plus I might have to wait another 2 weeks (second set of 10 business days) for this license I'm getting now, and if we do get this Vino, I'll have to wait another extra 2 weeks (3 sets of 2-week wait periods) but nephew (and Mom, aged 84) both stress the fact that I must use the current moped that nephew is in process of reassembling first, and now, considering that I'd rather not bother with having to get a motorcycle license, I'm even more inclined to use the current moped that we have for the duration of the month (that is, after nephew brings it back & license arr in snail mail) as long as the 2013 weather allows, possibly until November, maybe, or even December (until snow/cold comes).

Now I'm thinking Mom is a really, really, really smart lady! God bless you, Mom! This time I'll listen to her regarding the moped (reason I was so anxious for new bike is my fear of current bike having issues) - what do you guys say about what I've said just now?

Here's link to local dealership near us with Vino's,

http://www.bohncycleshop.com/new_vehicl ... lYear=2013
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:57 am

EDIT - forgot to add to my latest post from last nite: hopefully this winter (Nov/Dec '13 maybe) I'll be preparing to drive a car (mom's car) and taking professional driving lessons with an instructor, and as a result, it looks like I'm in excellent hands, no worries, with preparing to drive moped until the time comes for me to drive a car.

Thus, our current moped will suit me splendidly in the mean time.

Well it looks like I just saved Mom (at least) lot of cash (and myself a lot of anxiety over when will we get a new bike) thus I think I solved my own problem by deciding to hang onto the current moped.

What do you guys say about this?
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby John » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Put a pillow under your derriere so you are not looking through the steering wheel. You sure you will be able to reach the pedals then? lol
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: Moped rider-to-be (again)

Postby AlienBZ » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:25 pm

John wrote:Put a pillow under your derriere so you are not looking through the steering wheel. You sure you will be able to reach the pedals then? lol

Naah, would rather not. As it turns out, Mom just told me today, much to my surprise (and joy) to google for places near our area that sells mopeds. I googled a few weeks ago, but I cannot seem to find a decent moped dealer, so I checked Craig's List Pittsburgh on my ipad about a week ago at a friend's house, and found many selections.

So when Mom told me (since she's the head of the house, as Dad died several years ago, so she controls the money in our house) to go online and look for places that sell mopeds I went straight to Craig's List Pittsburgh, and did a search on mopeds.

The mopeds I found included Tomos and Sachs models, one Yamahopper (blue). Here are the links:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bar/3842762385.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/3845185092.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcd/3786905877.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3814355779.html

Very Important Notice
[/color]

The only reason I said (both here in this thread and to Mom) that I was willing to keep the old moped and ride it until winter sets in is because I felt obligated to say this just to make Mom happy/agree b/c I feared if I kept pressing it, Mom'd get angry and she'd tell me to "forget the whole thing about driving the moped and if you want to go out, say, to Barnes & Noble, you take the bus, and you walk to the bus stop and walk back home, it's good exercise for you" sort of retort.

Deep down in my heart I really and truly want to look (and hopefully get) a new moped from a local dealership, if not a newer model moped from someone on Craig's List and have my nephew sell the old moped, and I really, truly wish to follow my heart instead of my rational thinking.

Also, we received a phone call from the man (the supervisor) at the local Driver license ctr in Penn Hills today, and gave us very good news, so we're going over there early tomorrow to get my new/renewed license. Yay!! :D :D

About the new moped - can you guys please help me find a place in our area (our area code is 15122) that sells mopeds, not scooters, I really do not want a scooter!

Can you guys please check out these Craigs list links I posted and tell me what you think of these moped as I'm thinking of buying one of them?

thanks in advance.
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Just got my license (motorcycle license) at local PennDot in Penn Hills yesterday. Has my new name/new address/new photo on it.

I'm so happy!
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:07 pm

a red tail hawk ate one of my neighbors chickens, but his goats are still doing well. Do goats grieve for chickens?
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:05 am

Saw a common loon yesterday, lots of sheep around here for the turban set now though!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:02 am

Saw a common loon yesterday, lots of sheep around here for the turban set now though!

9 out of 10 Iranians that try Camels go back to their wives.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby AlienBZ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:04 pm

<update>

Got new bike (brand new) yesterday. Took it out back of our house & put 1 mi on it last eve. Driving was a bit wobbly (bike control-wise, that is) but I made the circuit (went in couple of long, curving ovals) OK, had a bit of difficulty in going to driveway (gentle slope/gravel). Family member had to assist in returning bike into garage.

Today:

Took bike out (same area as last nite), found I can control bike a bit better, a little less difficulty in returning up driveway, needed help putting bike in garage facing the driveway this time. put another mile on it. (total 2 mi).

eve:

took bike out back around half past 6, found out I can control it even better than I could this a.m., turns getting a bit better, put 3 more mi. on it, (total 5 mi), am beginning to enjoy riding more, this time, had no difficulty in going up our driveway, now can put bike in garage (facing driveway) by myself, without help. Can now control throttle better.

upon return into house proper, told family member I've returned, she told me, "are you taking the bike out?"

I said, "I just came back."

She: "I didn't know that you went out."

me: "you were playing at the computer, I didn't want to bother you."

dealer told me yesterday to practice with it about a week. am very happy that i'm getting rapid (i think) progress on it.
AlienBZ
Net Rider

Postby moebobbie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:35 pm

OK...What make and model moped did you get??
Owner of a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec, a nice little 1995 Tomos Targa TTLX (Baba Looey) and now a very pretty 2008 Tomos LX (Bunny)
moebobbie
Regional Rider

Postby John » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:22 am

Still want some pics! Very vague on the bike. Picture or it didn't happen.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Previous

Return to Moped Riders