1977 sachs westlake - can't get it to start

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

1977 sachs westlake - can't get it to start

Postby BeeJoenz » Sat May 25, 2013 9:25 pm

I was riding the moped for about 15 miles and it just died, it wouldn't start back up . I rode it down a hill and jump started it but it wouldn't idle.

So i've completely torn apart the carb and cleaned it although it didn't need much because the previous owner kept it pretty clean, although the gasket was pretty old, rotted and sort of falling apart. It ended up being the spark plug.

got everything assembled and it literally started right back up then i realized it was leaking fuel! drove by a couple shops looking for a replacement gasket (the original was barely there anyways) without much luck but was able to "make" one out of the square sheets some shops supply.

Long story short, I'm back to square one and it doesn't start.

I took it back apart and there wasn't any fuel in the bottom portion of the carb? i might not have put the "stopper" (?) on the right level of the pin..? If that makes sense.. i also have an inline fuel filter and yes the petcock was on as well as the "run" switch. I'm at a loss

help please
BeeJoenz
Net Rider

re: 1977 sachs westlake - can't get it to start

Postby John » Mon May 27, 2013 6:40 pm

But is there a good flow of gas, not a trickle. Blow the line back to the tank the screen on the petcock may be plugged. Clean the tank or seal it and new filters in the line and clean the carb again.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

re: 1977 sachs westlake - can't get it to start

Postby BeeJoenz » Tue May 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks for your responds. I'm still learning but it turns out I didn't have the throttle correctly connected to the handle. Runs great now.

BUT I've noticed a bit of oil leak by the head. It isn't much but I'm hoping it's only a gasket because it still runs great..?

Any suggestions?
BeeJoenz
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders