1979 QT50 Ignition Issue - HELP

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

1979 QT50 Ignition Issue - HELP

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:31 am

I have a 1979 QT50 puzzle that I can't seem to solve. The moped was running when I bought it but the previous owner hinted of an ignition issue. "Runs well for awhile but will not restart unless it sits". This quickly moved from an intermitent problem to a no spark problem. The previous owner had replaced the coil. I worked through the wiring and didn't find any issues and the ground is good. I replaced the CDI and it started and ran well for about 2 hrs. At that point the issue started all over again, weak to intermittent spark and then no spark at all. Changed the spark plug too. Along with any guidance on the issue I have the basic question. Should there be some resistance across the terminals of the CDI if it's good, or bad?
Kurt
Net Rider

re: 1979 QT50 Ignition Issue - HELP

Postby John » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:07 am

Does it have a battery, if so replace. Condenser at the stater maybe.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for the reply. The battery is brand new and fully charged. Regarding the condenser, does it have one if it has a CDI? I'm seeing the ignition coil, the lighting coil and the pulse coil. I have the electrical schematic from the shop manual and ~95% of it matches. It doesn't have the engine control module or circuit on the speedometer/key on-off. Not sure it this extra info helps or not.
Kurt
Net Rider

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 am

Looking at the schematic and the actual wiring it doesn't look like the battery is part of the ignition system. Can a bad ignition coil cause a CDI to stop functioning? Can anyone tell me now to determine if a CDI or ignition coil are good or bad......I hate electrical issues.
Kurt
Net Rider

Re: 1979 QT50 Ignition Issue - HELP

Postby Arlie1180 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:29 am

Charge coil is bad. Yamaha had faulty ones that year and changed them in 80-81. CDI rarely go bad. PW50 has the same charge coil.
Arlie1180
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders