Just got my old moped out of storage

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Just got my old moped out of storage

Postby mainfrym » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:24 am

Hello everyone I'm new. I got my 2000 Tomos Targa A35 when I was 14, and the day I turned 16 I put it into storage and have not started it since. I just got it back out and I would like to get it running again.

I know there are guides out there for reviving an old engine but I have no idea where to start. I figured I should get some gas in there to start out with and see if it will start, but what about the oil levels?

I do not have the owner's manual anymore so If you guys could help me out with an oil change procedure and what the correct oil/gas ratio is as my step-dad did it for me back then; also do they sell premixed fuel?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
mainfrym
Net Rider

re: Just got my old moped out of storage

Postby mopedlar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:37 pm

You really need to closely read Fred's Guide at: http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view ... &fldAuto=8

Also, the Tomos A35 owner's manual is available for download in .pdf format on the "Moped repair" link at the top of the page.

Does your bike still have oil injection? If not, you need to pre-mix at 40:1. If it still has oil injection, make sure the reservoir under the seat is filled with a good quality 2 stroke oil.

The only other oil in the bike is the tranny fluid. It takes "Type F" (Type A if you can find it) Tranny fluid which is available in the Auto Dept. of Walmart and just about any auto parts store. You drain the old fluid from the bottom of the clutch cover, you fill it from the top until it just starts to run out of the check level hole on the side of the cover. All these procedures are explained in detail in either the Owner's Manual or the Tomos A35 Service Manual (also available for download in the Moped Repairs link.)

Just read the guide and the manual and all your questions should be answered.

FYI....don't run the bike with old gas. If there is still gas in the gas tank, drain it out and start with fresh gas (pre-mix if no oil injection).
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mainfrym » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Thank you for the info; however it appears as though it only has the repair/workshop manual and not the owners manual there.
mainfrym
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:34 pm

The Tomos Revival Owner's Manual has the same information as the Tomos LX Manual. They both have the A35 motor. Information re. anything with the motor, carb and tranny are the same.

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals ... ivalom.htm
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mainfrym » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:51 pm

The reason I was asking about the owner's manual is to have stuff that you guys probably know off the top of your head such as what the knobs do, how to set it to reserve tank, how to get the gas cap off just dummy stuff I dont know how to do but usually is mentioned in the manual.

I actually emailed Tomos and they said they would mail me one, when I get it I will scan it if you guys would like to put it on the moped repair section.

Today I drained the gas tank and it was a dark brown and smelled like paint and there was stuff that looked like corroded copper on the inside part of the gas cap and tank.

I assumed the cap was key release so I put that in there but couldnt get it to turn so I used plyers to very slow turn to what I thought was the unlock position and i got the cap off, but now cannot get the key out or get the cap back on.

mainfrym
Net Rider

Postby JunkyardDog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 pm

I have owned 2 A35s. Great mopeds, except for the oil injection, which, IMO anyway, is JUNK. Both mine were STs and came with it. The first one seized up on the way home due to a lack of oil. it was an '03. When the fixed it I immediately removed the oil injection and went to premix. It ran fine for almost 3 years and over 10,000 miles, but was unfortunately destroyed in a collision with a Suburban that almost got me too. I bought a new '05, and told the dealer not to start it. I picked it up in a truck and hauled it home, where I removed the oil injection system and put premix in it before starting it for the first time. I rode that one for several thousand miles, then gave it to my oldest daughter, and she put several thousand more miles on it before it got stolen.

As for everything else, I would pull the plug and squirt some oil in there, and turn it over by hand several times before trying to start it. Remove the petcock and flush the tank out good. I've had good luck removing old gas residue with some stuff called SuperClean, which is available at Walmart. Be careful with it, it is a super strong degreaser and will take the skin right off your hands. Use gloves. Since the tank is only one gallon, I would plug the petcock hole, and fill the tank with it, full strength, and let it set overnight, then drain it out into a jug (it can most likely still be used, though it won't be as strong as it was to begin with.

Remove the plug, and flush out the tank good with water. Hopefully it is not rusted. Spray some WD-40 into it. Change the transmission oil according to the manual. It says to use Type A Suffix A transmission fluid, which is outdated, but can still be found. Or you can use either DexronIII/Mercon, or 10w30 engine oil which is what I use. Remove, disassemble, and thoroughly clean the carb with spray carb cleaner. Watch your eyes. Put everything back together and fill the tank with 40:1 premix. Kick it over a few times with the choke on, and it should start. Open the throttle all the way should close the choke.

Then check everything else, tires, chain, brakes, etc. It will probably need new tires and tubes. One neat thing about the Tomos is that it has 20" wheels (bicycle size) you can get those super thick heavy duty thorn proof 20" bicycle tubes, they are a lot stronger and more puncture resistant than what comes in them. The Tomos rim is designed so it will not harm the rubber valve stem. They are all I ever used in Tomos mopeds. If the chain is rusty, it will probably also need to be replaced. Lube all the cables.

The gas cap bothers me. If it is rusted, it may be due to ethanol gas, which may have done a lot of other damage as well, especially to the gas tank and float bowl. It does lock with a key. I would try getting some WD-40 or PB Blaster in there to help free things up.

I stored a moped for almost 10 years. I drained the tank, filled it with engine oil, filled the cylinder with engine oil, filled the carb with WD-40, and everything was ok when I brought it out of storage. No rust or corrosion anywhere.
JunkyardDog
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders