Puch E50 engine question...

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Puch E50 engine question...

Postby crusty74 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi there folks, new to the forum here. I bought a '79 Puch Maxi about a month ago and rebuilt it completely, as far as that goes with a 150$ budget.

I'm not necessarily in need of any new information on how to get it to work, it works fine, it's got no kickstart but starts in 3 feet every time now. It was seized when I bought it and didn't work, but it was just a matter of removing some rust from the axle.

I bought another E50 engine to fix the one the bike came with, and I hold it as a spare right now.

Now here's the question:
I'm thinking about using the spare engine for some sort of ultralight aircraft or perhaps an autogyro, but at it's current state it has only about 1.5 to 2.5 horsepower.

What is the maximum amount of power one can get out of this engine, and with what modifications (I presume many, but that is not a problem when I get around to it)?
To boldly go where lotsa people have gone before, or not...
crusty74
Net Rider

re: Puch E50 engine question...

Postby Ike » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 am

You can buy a large gasoline model airplane engine that will put out 5 times the power of a modified Puch moped engine......but will still not be enough power for an ultralight airplane

Ike
Only God can make a tree....
and only Tomos can make a Moped!
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby tomos03 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Ike, way didn't you come up with that idea when we were all riding mopeds? That would be cool to have that much power on a moped.
tomos03
Net Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Years ago I had a Quicksilver ultralight with a 28 hp Cayuna engine. The plane weighed about 200 pounds and with the added weight of the pilot struggled to get airborne. The man who bought it from me replaced the Cayuna with a 50hp Rotax 503 and is still flying it.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby crusty74 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:36 am

Thanks for the replies...but 'buy a bigger one' is explicitly not the answer to my question...I'm talking technical modification details here...

Considering that the Wright flyer had a 12 Hp engine that weighed 170 lbs it should be obvious that you can achieve powered flight with an engine weighing 1/8th of that figure. The 3d flyer could remain airborne for 20 minutes on a 20hp engine. Also note that compared to current ULV those early aircraft where heavy. So if you can't get powered flight with 12hp, you're only doing it wrong...110 years of proof is right there.

From what I can tell the E50 has a 1.5 and a 2 Hp version, but with plenty of modifications 10 Hp is easily feasible.
Only yesterday I spoke someone who has a 50cc racer...it gets 21hp on the dyno. World class racers get 30 hp out of 50cc.

So whether you can get airborne with a (modified) E50 engine is no point of discussion to me, the question is only how to modify..
To boldly go where lotsa people have gone before, or not...
crusty74
Net Rider

Postby John » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 am

Probably a lot of better engine technology out there than an ancient E50. You can't trust them for durability on a moped, just think of that as you plummet to the ground.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders