WOW...Free moped!!!

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

WOW...Free moped!!!

Postby houseofreggae » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Passed by this Kinetic TFR moped the other day at the end of a residential driveway with a sign that said "FREE...RUNS". Turned around and picked it up. Place was for rent, maybe it was left behind by a tenant. Anyway, it did run, but not very well. Almost no power, 10-15 mph was all I could get. The picture is from a few days ago, now it's in many, many pieces. Gonna replace gaskets, piston rings, clean carb & oil residue from moped. Never done this on a moped before but I've had experience with my motorized bike (china girl). Having trouble cracking engine case, and getting pin out of rear gear box (to slide inside half off of the brake drum). Just trying to get at everything so when I slap her back together, if there's a problem, I can pinpoint it easily. Thanks for looking, and any advice you can give me.

Joel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
houseofreggae
Net Rider

re: WOW...Free moped!!!

Postby John » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:49 am

Free is always good, lots of luck on your rebuild/restore.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Hodaka Bob » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Cool find. If your lucky it may only need the exhaust port cleaned out to get it back to stock speed.
Hodaka Bob
County Line Cycles
County Line Cycles
11860 E. 50 North
Grovertown, IN 46531
574-767-0660
www.countylinecyclesin.com
Hodaka Bob
Net Rider

Postby JunkyardDog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 pm

Best of luck finding parts. I had a brand new TFR back in '01 or '02. But they've been gone for a long time Some Vespa Ciao parts might fit.

I also had a china girl motorized bike. What a nightmare. The chained pulled the tensioner into the rear wheel, ripping out most of the spokes. I replaced the wheel and redesigned the tensioner, the motor blew up a few weeks later. I'm going to build another one, but with a Honda GX35 engine and a Staton friction drive.
JunkyardDog
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders