New member from Washington State

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

New member from Washington State

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:04 am

Hi folks, I've got a 1979 Puch Free Spirit:

I'm not new to riding, but I am new to wrenching. I've recently started tinkering with the moped to see if I could get some extra performance from it.

Two things that have been bothering me are:
Very dim lights, and
Not much speed/power.

I know it will never be a rocket, but on flat ground I can only get up to 26 mph. That's if I have a lot of flat road as it accelerates very slowly. Well, I'll make a thread about that later...

Anyway, I started riding in 2005, and I've since gone on to get my class 7 endorsement and a Honda Rebel. I'm planning to buy a Ural next year. The moped is a fun bike to get around town on though. I've thought of selling it a couple of times, but I can't really bring myself to do it. So instead, I'm going to fix it up, customize it, accessorize it, and probably break it a few times while I learn how it works.

I've already picked up a few ideas from reading past threads here. (I'm up to 2007. Only 70 more pages to go!) I can't fix my car to save my life, even though its an old 80 Honda Civic. But I've had some good and enjoyable results tinkering with the moped.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

re: New member from Washington State

Postby Tab » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:47 pm

Nice! I've owned two Rebels over the years...an '87 and a 2002, I believe. Now, I have a Nighthawk 750.
The Free Spirit will have dim lights, but make sure it has a 6v bulb in it...not a 12v. If it's a 1.5HP, 25 is the supposed max speed.

Tab
Tab
Master Regional Rider

re: New member from Washington State

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:18 am

Its 2 hp with 6V bulbs.

I'm still working on reading (skimming) through past posts, but I'm only up to 2008. I've got a few more pages to read. But I'm impatient, so I'll ask some general questions and hope you all aren't tired of answering them yet.

Wheels and Tires:
Is there a range of tire sizes that can fit on a particular wheel, or just one size? How does one go about figuring out such a range?
Here's what I have now.
A range of heights and widths would give me lots more options. What does the D1.35 and the DOT 1/78 mean?
I haven't seen this brand anywhere. I gather the tire is 2.25" wide and 2" high off the rim?

Anyway, if you all could enlighten me, or point me to an FAQ or something I'd sure appreciate it.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders