79 Puch Free Spirit Project

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: 79 Puch Free Spirit Project

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:18 am

I sure am enjoying working on this little bike! I also appreciate all your advice and comments. I've got several more things to try out on the engine next time I have it apart. (soon, hopefully)

More parts came in the mail, so more tinkering got done. All the light bulbs are upgraded to 12V.

I found a neat little mini-blade fuse block at Amazon.

The battery box from the blinker kit still makes an excellent junction box. I've got the new LED blinker module, switch, and lights temporarily hooked up.

When I got the moped, the original horn had been removed. I found a new 12V horn, but I still have no switch for it. I'll work on that later. I've set the timing as best I can for now, according to the kit directions. And the wires are all temporarily tucked away. Time to try it out!
Whadayaknow! It started right up! (A little happy dance was necessary at this point!) Blinkers work, tail and brake lights work, tach light works.

And holy cow, what a difference in the headlight!
This picture is with the engine running at a slow idle. Its even brighter than this while riding!

Speaking of riding, I took it for a short test drive once the engine warmed up. I traded my bucket stand for a handlebar camera mount, so this time you all can ride with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncUoHed_eCY

Performance was about the same. Slow acceleration and a top speed of 26 mph. I didn't figure that would change, what with the 107 psi compression. But at least it isn't worse. One difference though, is that it is 4-stroking at full throttle again. My guess is that the timing is a little off. I still lack the proper tools to adjust it right, so that doesn't surprise me. Well, I now have a piston stop, digital caliper, and flywheel puller. I still need a timing light, a degree wheel, and a Sharpie. (There must be 20 Sharpies around here, but I can only find them when I don't need them!)

I've never done timing before on any engine of any kind. The adventure continues...
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:34 pm

I found a neat little control cluster on eBay that seems like it was made to fit the moped. Horn, Blinkers, and a light switch, all right next to my thumb. This frees up a lot of room on my crowded handlebars.

I'm thinking of getting a multi-pin connector though.
This isn't my best effort:

I found out the horn I bought uses too much power for the moped. I've replaced it with a smaller, less power-hungry one.

Also hooked up a hazard switch for the blinkers, and cleaned up the blinker junction a bit.

I'd like a hazard light decal, but I've looked all over and can't find one.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:06 am

Got a site from Amazon for the fuse block. Nice work by the way, may I suggest that you solder the connections.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks!
Here is the ad for the fuse block I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO6Q4JE/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure why they have pictures of wires and connectors. Its just the block. It did come with the clear plastic cover. I hadn't put mine on yet when I took the picture. Jegs also makes them with 6 or 8 buses, maybe more.

I do like to solder my permanent connections, and I may do that later. For experimenting, I really like those twist on "posi-lock" connectors. They are a bit bulky for a permanent setup, but they can be attached without tools, and reused many times.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:37 am

I just make an awesome eBay find! A NIB tach from the 70s. Perfect for the moped!

There's still some left last time I looked:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251263300034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Simple wiring. A positive, ground, and signal wire. I don't know if it actually works yet. Its been sitting on a shelf for an awfully long time. And the packaging was never opened which means its not been tested since it was made. I can't wait to try it out!

Also, finished cleaning up the replacement speedometer. I had fun shining up the steel rings:
Its all reassembled and reinstalled, along with a modern green LED to light it up.
Two nifty gauges side by side.

Less exciting is a repair I did to an old reflector I broke.
The tabs were gone so I decided to try out some J-B Weld, which I've never used before.
I drilled some indentations where the old tabs were to get a couple bolts to fit. I expected this stuff to be sticky and smell terrible like fiberglass resin epoxy, but this was more like an odorless past.
Also took the opportunity to polish the reflector surface. If it doesn't hold up, I'll just replace it, but I wanted to try the J-B Weld out just for fun.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 am

I did some wiring today; some permanent, some temporary. Enough to get the bike outside for some testing, anyway. At first, the darn thing wouldn't start. I'm kinda slow, so it took a while to figure out I wasn't getting any spark. It slowly dawned on me that maybe I had wired something wrong. As soon as I removed the tach signal wire, I got my spark back. It turns out, I had it attached to the wrong wire. So after attaching it to the OTHER wire, I got the engine started, and a reading on the tach!
I'm planning on comparing the readings to those on a diagnostic tach, when I get one, to see how accurate it is. At least the needle moves up and down with the throttle!

I also got the new electrical system tested with a volt meter. I got 10V at idle with all the running lights on, and 14.2V while throttling. I wonder if I should hook up a small 12V battery to help smooth things out. I have a capacitor hooked up, but that's more for quick dips and spikes.

The replacement 1.5A horn works! I've never had a horn on the moped before. This is rather novel! It even works well when the bike is idling.

Tried out the jumper switch I installed for the blinkers. Now I have hazard lights to flash at people when I'm going way too slow up the hill!

A while back I found a handlebar I decided to try out. Its quite an involved process to replace a handlebar. So many things gotta come off. My boy came down stairs to see how things were going. He looked at all the wires and cables and things hanging everywhere, and no handlebar and said "What did you do!" Well, I've got it (mostly) put back together now.
The new handlebar is shorter, wider, and deeper than the original. A little closer to the handlebar on my Honda Rebel, but with a more severe "U" shape, as seen from above. I've always felt the original handlebar was too narrow, and my steering movements felt twitchy and exaggerated sort of. Anyway, I think these will work better.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:58 pm

How did you get the speedo chrome ring off to polish it?
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:59 pm

The nut on the speedometer cable attachment thing holds a metal bracket in place. Removing the bracket allows you to take the speedometer out of the plastic and rubber housing. From there, the rings just pop off the rubber gasket. They only stick to the rubber from time/friction. There are actually two rings; one inside and one outside.

Hope that makes sense :)
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks, got a real cruddy one to do. I am into a 1977 Puch Maxi S build. Harness in tomorrow then into the motors guts. Bronze metallic frame. May be my last moped I build up.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: 79 Puch Free Spirit Project

Postby JD » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:20 am

John wrote:May be my last moped I build up.

Famous last words.
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:07 am

Well, I'm about ready to wrap up the wiring for now and get back into the engine. I'm hoping to figure out why I'm only getting 107 psi compression.

Once I fix that, I'll be looking into getting some performance engine parts and doing some modifications to see if I can get a little more power. Some suggestions I've heard are:
    Removing the restrictors from the stock pipe
    Enlarging the holes in the stock baffle
    Installing a larger cylinder and piston
    Installing a performance crank assembly
    Shortening the bottom of the piston
    Making sure the ports all match up
    Enlarging the intake manifold
    Re-jetting the carburetor
    Paint it yellow (bright colors make 'em go faster right?)

I don't think I'll do all of these things. But I'll pick one thing to do at a time and see what changes.

Tips and suggestions are welcome!
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:09 am

Finished up the wiring and handlebars.
The wires still need to be tucked away, but everything is hooked up and working.

I found some grips I like but had to modify them a bit so they would fit the handlebars and bar ends. They were advertized as 7/8" and 1" for the left and right, but they were a bit smaller than that and getting them on was a bugger. I ended up boring them wider to get them to fit. And I had to make my own holes for the bar ends. Also needed a bushing so the rubber grip wouldn't stick to the bar end. I made one out of PVC pipe:

My home-made bushing fit into the grip, keeping the rubber from sticking to the bar end:

The bar end covers up most of the poor job I did making the hole in the grip.

I like the look of the new handlebars, and the way it works while riding is good too. The grips are just the first step towards a new color scheme.

Now, time to get that engine working better...
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:05 am

Well, I've already complained about my brand new piston rings being broken in another thread, so I'll skip that here.

While I'm waiting for new rings, and my engine is now apart anyway, I looked at a few things I hadn't before. First off, the plug is nice and brown:
Should mean I've got good air/fuel mixture and engine temperature.
I've got low compression (107psi), but no gasket leaks that I can find. Putting oil in the cylinder made no difference, but I'm not sure what else to check, so I've made some ring measurements.

The play between the rings and the piston is .038mm, which I think is good.
The ring gaps are .305mm and .279mm. According to this chart:
http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Ring_gap The gaps should be closer to .152mm for a 38mm bore, so mine seem pretty big. Maybe that's the culprit?

The new piston seems to fit the old cylinder ok, although without rings its pretty useless:

One thing I did notice, which has nothing to do with anything is the company name and logo cast into the cylinder jug:
Just found it interesting.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:51 pm

While I'm waiting on new rings to arrive in the mail, I decided to work on the timing for the new power dynamo ignition. This time, I came at it with proper tools: a digital caliper, piston stop, degree wheel, flywheel puller, and timing light.

So this time I was able to set the piston at exactly 2mm before TDC, and keep it there with the piston stop. Got the flywheel off, and marked exactly where the timing mark should go, and reinstalled it. Hooked up the timing light, and Bam! right on center. Didn't even need the degree wheel. Still, a neat tool to have though.

I need to get a new exhaust gasket before I can test ride it though. And it will still have low compression, as I've not got that fixed yet, but I'm hoping a few symptoms will be gone now with the timing properly done.

Another discovery: my stock exhaust pipe has no restriction tubes! I was all ready to drill those out, but now, don't have to. Is this a Free Spirit thing? I don't think anyone besides me has done any modifying to this bike.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:39 am

New piston rings have finally arrived!
I bought two sets, 2mm for the old piston, and 1.5mm for the new one.

Although the new rings are the same dimensions as the ones that came with the piston kit, there is definitely a visual difference:
The left ring is the new one, and the ring on the right is also new, but came with the piston kit, and is already broken. I wonder how different they might be in quality? Were they manufactured differently? Made from different kinds of steel?

Well, I decided to temper them anyway, at least partially.
I got them nice and uniformly hot, about 400 F, and let them cool gradually. The idea was to relax the metal just a little, so its less brittle.

Either it worked, or the quality of the metal was better, but regardless, I was able to get both rings installed without breaking them:
Hopefully, I'll be as successful with the new rings for the original piston. Before I install those, I'll get a gap measurement to compare with the old rings. Then I'll find out if this solves my compression problem.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

PreviousNext

Return to Moped Riders