my new toy

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

my new toy

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 pm

This is my new to me Tomos being delivered from London Ontario this October 5th
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

re: my new toy

Postby John » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:41 am

Got some work ahead of you there. PM me your vin, looks strangely familar!!!!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Sadly the seller finally admitted this Tomos does not have an ownership with it. Good news I was offered a better one which includes an unneeded parts bike that I will be doing a full rebuild and Modding the engine over this winter
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:30 pm

Still figuring out how to post pics from my phone. This one needs hardly any work other than the mods I want to make to it. The parts bike is missing alot but its quickly becoming a rebuild and resell for a profit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby John » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:34 am

Looks like you got a good one.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:03 pm

The parts bike
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Getting the lx tomorrow (Halloween day) turns out the parts bike was owned by the sellers friend who wants to sell it separately so $400 is just for the lx. In my mind still a good price
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Crashed during the test ride out in front of my apartment building. Scraped up my elbow and dislocated my left shoulder. Has the front brake always been the right brake handle or did the PO mess them up and not tell me? I swapped the cables to the same as my mountain bike (which I'm used to) right hand=rear brake
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby John » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Well you just changed the moped/motorcycle/scooter feature. lol Guess you needed a wee lesson before you took on a motorized two wheeled vehicle. You do have some level of M endorsement don't you????
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: my new toy

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:59 am

Flat_Track_Racer wrote:Crashed during the test ride out in front of my apartment building. Scraped up my elbow and dislocated my left shoulder. Has the front brake always been the right brake handle or did the PO mess them up and not tell me? I swapped the cables to the same as my mountain bike (which I'm used to) right hand=rear brake

Ouch! I hope you heel quickly. I fell off mine one spring making a turn. I slipped on the winter gravel and was on the ground before I knew it! Fortunately, the Puch and I were fine. In fact, the engine was still running like nothing had happened. On its side. I just straightened the handlebar and was on my way. I pay closer attention to gravel now. I would have had a badly scrapped elbow if I hadn't had a leather jacket on.

Here in Washington, an endorsement is not necessary to ride a moped. Just a driver's license. I didn't take a training course or get my endorsement until I upgraded to a motorcycle. I'm still trying to "unlearn" bad riding habits I started before the class.

On my moped, the right brake is the front. Just like on my motorcycle. I don't know which goes where on a regular bicycle. But I always have to use the front/right brake lever to kick-start the engine, and leave the back/left brake lever alone. Also, my starter clutch lever is on the left.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Have my m license ride a 1968 flh but I haven't been on a per in almost a year just didn't think before I jammed on the brakes. Lol I feel really dumb crashing the way I did. I should have started out slow and not assumed anything in regards to brakes and how well the tires grip on damp road surface. Picking up full leathers end of November and rebuilding the whole moped over the winter months. I will order all the performance parts and install them as I get more comfortable riding. Got too ahead of myself when it came to riding. Recovery of my shoulder really is telling me I'm almost 50 and not in my 20's anymore lol
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders