Picked up a 77 Kreidler MP-9

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Picked up a 77 Kreidler MP-9

Postby Falcor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:18 am

So I stumbled across a pretty good deal on a Kreidler and I jumped on it. I was a bit put off by the lack of available parts but wanted to keep this bike as stock as possible. It's quite peppy, does about 31mph on a straightaway with a stock set up. Needs to be thoroughly cleaned but seems to be in decent shape, gas tank is spotless.

I have a couple of questions if anyone has any answers:

- Are the top ends of these engines a bit noisier than an E50? My Maxi is all I have to compare it to and the Kreidler is definitely noisier, almost sounds like a diesel engine when I put my ear near it. When I tap on the cooling fins though they kind of 'ring' so I am thinking that perhaps it's just that.

- It definitely has the shaking issue when shifting between first and second. I've read about how to fix this with shims on the end of the transmission but I wondered if anyone had any luck buying these shims from McMaster-Carr or some other hardware store? I'm trying to avoid having a handful of $.50 shims sent from Europe. I've searched and have not been able to find any link to McMaster-Carr or anything similar.

It also seems to have a transmission leak that is coming out where the sprocket attaches. I believe this is an internal seal but I am going to just let it leak for a bit, it doesn't seem that bad and I am not familiar enough yet with the bike to tear the motor apart.

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falcor
Net Rider

re: Picked up a 77 Kreidler MP-9

Postby mopedlar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:37 pm

This guy is an authority on Kreidlers- gaskilljon@gmail.com. He owns about 12 of them.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

re: Picked up a 77 Kreidler MP-9

Postby Falcor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Chris
Falcor
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders