led signal lights

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

led signal lights

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:30 pm

I bought led signal lights for my Tomos lx and from what I've been reading on here they might not work because they work hooked up one way. And I can't find the info to add the resistors I might need because of the lowered resistance compared to the stock bulbs
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

re: led signal lights

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:38 am

I'm not familiar with Tomos wiring, but I got the LEDs on my Puch to work with an electronic flash relay. It removes the need for resistors. Here's a diagram of how I wired it up:
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:39 am

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to not have to add a battery and just hook thw leds into the original wiring. Am I asking for too much lol?
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby John » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:19 am

Yes.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Would a powerwheels battery work in this situation? For just the signal lights or should I look at a motorcycle size battery? I have access to a motorcycle battery box so I won't have to make one. I can probably mount it between the frame side covers to hide it.
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:11 pm

LEDs don't take much power, so any battery should do as long as its the same voltage as the lights and relay. I used a 6V lantern battery for a while on my Puch.

I counted up all the stock lighting on my bike and found out it used more than the stator could produce! No wonder all my lights were dim. Later I got lucky and found an upgrade that gave me a few more Watts. Converting everything but the headlight to LED also helped a lot.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:56 am

Thats my next upgrade. An led taillight. If I'm looking at this properly I can just run power to one side of the blinker and I should be good to go?
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:43 am

The blinker relay I bought just had two wires. A power in from the battery, and a power out that goes to the switch.

The diagram I offered doesn't show it well, but the "out" from the relay goes into the "common" for the blinker switch. From the "common" wire, the power goes through the switch to either left, off, or right. Depending on the switch position. In that simple wiring system, nothing goes to "ground" (negative battery terminal) until after each bulb.

Some flasher relays have a third wire, but I'm not sure what its for. Maybe a dashboard indicator? I don't have one of those.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 pm

The Tomos Targa LX I have has a 2 wire flasher relay. And from what I can see a multiple grounding point fairly close to said relay. If I can figure out which wire going in to the relay is the positive side wire I will go forward with getting myself a small rechargeable 12 volt battery at the end of the month. I'm still not sure the leds will flash properly and slow enough be wise of all the things I've read about leds needing a resistor to slow them down. Hopefully I'm only over thinking this.
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 am

With a mechanical flasher, you need resistors because the LEDs don't draw enough power to make the flasher work right. The resistors place enough lode on the circuit to make the mechanical flasher work right.

An electronic flasher, made specifically for LEDs doesn't have that problem.
I got mine at SuperBrightLEDs.com:

I'm running mine from the engine stator. Everything flickers when the engine is idling, but once I get going, the blinkers work great. A battery would provide a more stable power source, I think. I'm planning on getting one of those miniature maintenance free motorcycle batteries to see if I can get more stable power at idle.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Seems like I can wire them up to the original wiring and swap out the relay to an led compatible one and I'll be good to go. They'll work okay but will work better if I add a battery
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:13 pm

I didn't realize you're bike already had turn signals. In that case, swapping out the flasher should work as long as it matches the rest of the voltage.

My Puch came with no signals. They were added on later with their own battery pack. If your original setup had blinkers already, the putting LEDs in should work fine as long as the wattage is less than, or equal to, the original wattage of the blinker bulbs.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby Flat_Track_Racer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks Mike, I'll update everyone after I wire everything up and test it.
Flat_Track_Racer
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders