Yamaha QT50 -- Restoration

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Yamaha QT50 -- Restoration

Postby LucasV » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Well, after some digging through my property yesterday, I can across this beauty. After some research, I've come to the conclusion that it's a QT50, but I have no idea what year, the mileage, or anything else remotely specific.

That said, would it be worth restoring? It would be both, for a fun ride, and to probably sell sometime in the future.

It's going to need pretty much everything, as it's apparently been sitting for about 20 years.

Where is the VIN? I've found a serial for the motor, but can't seem to find a VIN plate.
LucasV
Net Rider

re: Yamaha QT50 -- Restoration

Postby mopedlar » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Honestly, at best it's a parts bike. I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to restore it.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:39 pm

I wouldn't even part it. Scrap only.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby LucasV » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Is there no chance at all? I noticed a lot of the parts can be found online pretty cheap. The most expensive I've found is the engine (obviously) for about $80.

My son is really excited about it, and I would love trying to restore it with him. (If you have kids, you'll understand how valuable that time with them actually is.)
LucasV
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:49 pm

I understand completely. I have three grown sons. There are far, far better project bikes to restore with your kid. You'll end up spending a $1K in parts restoring a bike worth around $350 restored.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby xrongor » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 pm

while you may be able to find emotional reasons to restore that particular bike, there is no logical or practical reason. its too far gone...
"In this world there's two kinds of people... Those with loaded guns, and those who dig." -- Blondie to Tuco
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby wardie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:17 pm

I agree with all..move on get something you have a chance at rebuilding and making it run.
wardie
Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders