How to clean the inside of a gas tank???

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

How to clean the inside of a gas tank???

Postby Kodaman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 pm

I have a 1982 Yamaha QT50, and I need to clean the inside of the gas tank but don't know how? Also how to completely drain the oil and clean the inside of the oil well?
Kodaman
Net Rider

re: How to clean the inside of a gas tank???

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 am

I think that the condition of the gas tank will determine how involved cleaning will be. The worse it is, the more steps will be involved.

I cleaned out a tank once, but it was a while ago. I had bought a kit that came with several chemicals. The first one was a detergent that removes gas, diesel, and oil. Another was for removing rust and other deposits. Then there was an acid that etched the wall of the tank. Also, there was a rinsing agent to remove the acid. And last was a paint-like fluid to coat the inside of the tank to keep it from rusting and make it harder for deposits to stick.

Other than the last step needing the tank to be completely dry, (I used my wife's hair dryer to speed things along) It wasn't terribly difficult. I don't remember what kit I bought, but there's lots out on the market.

I also found a nice youtube video make by a fellow who does this stuff more often than I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkg9_JSjq4Y
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby Kodaman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:43 am

Thank you very much Mike.
Kodaman
Net Rider

Postby John » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:33 am

Sealing coat kit is POR15. Marinas, auto and cycle shops should have it.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby schwinnguy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:33 am

one really great way to clean a tank, and it is really cheap, is to use white cleaning vinegar. I did this with a really rusty gas tank this past summer. the vinegar removed all the rust and etched the inside of the tank too. the longer it sits, the better. if you can get a wire brush of some kind down into the tank that will help remove some of the scale quicker. I let the tank that I did sit for a week. looked like new inside after I flushed it out.
vinegar also works great if you have a plugged up pipe in a sink or bath tub. tried that too with a bad s trap in our bath. made the inside of those old pipes look new after about 2 hours.
every grocery store should carry white vinegar. I paid less than $4.00 for a gallon and it was more than enough to do several tanks. could probably use it on carbuerators too.
2000 tomos targa lx,
donp
schwinnguy
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:11 pm

Be cautious cleaning aluminum with vinegar. It reacts pretty quickly and makes the aluminum oxidize into white powder stuff that is really hard to get off sometimes. I only mention this because Bing carbs are almost all aluminum, except for a few internal bits. I don't know about other carbs.

The acidic nature of vinegar does make it an excellent cleaner, though.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby John » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:03 am

Takes too long, get the kit. As for carb cleaning use PineSol 50/50 with H2O or a untrasonic bath.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders