Newbie from Uk

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Newbie from Uk

Postby Steadyaway » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi all

I'm new to the forum, and a new moped lover. I've got a few bikes, but also caught the moped bug last year with a 1980 Puch Maxi N. Here's the before and after photos.

Bought as a none runner off fleabay..

After much work, including complete engine rebuild, 60cc kit, refurb end carb, free breathing air filter, sports exhaust, s/s replacement for most fasteners, powder coated frame, etc, etc...

Did a 160 mile charity ride on it in September last year, which was too much for it, as I blew the engine. So another rebuild, with race crank, new seals and bearings...

That's as far as I've got. I couldn't get the woodruff to engage with the flywheel, so gave up and went indoors for a beer :-)
Stromtrooper some days, Kwackers others, Puching at all other times
Steadyaway
Net Rider

re: Newbie from Uk

Postby John » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Looking good so far, nothing nicer than a old school ridgid. Get a comfy seat though. Keep the pics coming. Where in Britain are you, active group over in Ipswich. (EACC)
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Nice job!
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: Newbie from Uk

Postby Steadyaway » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:09 am

John wrote:Looking good so far, nothing nicer than a old school ridgid. Get a comfy seat though. Keep the pics coming. Where in Britain are you, active group over in Ipswich. (EACC)

Cheers. Yes, the ride is hard! Especially at 42 mph (which is what I was cruising at on the flat before killing it), plus the brakes are awful. I've replaced the front pads to see if it improves them.

I'm from Middlesbrough in the NE of England. Ipswich is a bit of a trek from me ;-)
Steadyaway
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:28 am

Use a good synthetic oil Red Line, Ipone etc. Premix 40:1 minimum. Hey I have a 250 ZZR Kwacker and a bunch of scoots along with mopeds.

EACC has lots of info and a good site to roam through. Parts can be sourced through Mark Daniels at "mopedland". Seems they make a lot of treks to jumbos in the Netherlands for bits etc.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Steadyaway » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Cheers John

I'll have to look them up. My current supplier is YPV Spares.

My other steads are a 1976 Z900 Kwak, a 2001 Zrx1200S Kwak and a 2006 DL1000 VStrom that's been well farkled :-)

The Mrs is kinda resigned to the fact that my moped collection is likely to grow. Still, she's happy when I'm out from under her feet tinkering in the garage ;-)
Steadyaway
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Kwackers abound... sounds like my nephew up in Dunbar. Aeronautical engineer at Malmo right now. 777's one of his babies, haven't had a chance to chat about the Malaysia episode yet.
Cheers, your way, and yes the darn mopeds can be addicting.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Steadyaway » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:44 am

Hi all

Like a top plonker, I figured out the woodruff key issue on the flywheel was because the clutch side is bigger than the flywheel side (after a couple of hours of fiddling!)...

So once the right one was sat in place, all was good...

So that meant I was ready to refit the engine. Here's the bike ready for it ;)

And here he is with it fitted...

Unfortunately I'd ran out of engine oil, so couldn't see if he starts ok. But happy with a couple of hours progress :)
Steadyaway
Net Rider

Postby Steadyaway » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:40 pm

My engine oil turned up this morning, meaning there was nothing really stopping me having a crack at getting Percy running again.

The day was spent trying hard to concentrate on doing my work, but all I could think about was the anticipation of this exciting moment. Have I left anything off? Are all the bolts at the right torque? Have I sealed the engine body right? Have I set the clutch adjustment OK? Are the electrics connected properly? Was my ham fisted attempt at setting the points gap and the timing sufficient? Is anything nipped that shouldn't be? Did I get the piston the right way round? Is the fuel still Ok after been left for a few months? Has the carb blocked up? Have I fixed the death rattle that led to this total rebuild in the first place? The questions spinning in my mind were endless.

By 4pm it all got too much and I called it a day. A quick change into my scruffs and I was in the garage. I wanted to savour this moment, knowing in reality, the next hour could go one of two ways. I needed to get myself in the 'zone', so if success was to be another day, I'd be able to take it like a man and set about resolving any issues without bursting into tears of anguish and frustration.

After some slow deep calming breaths, I moved my box of bits out of the way and carried Percy through the garage past the big boys and out into the early evening sunshine. He was looking good. But looks only count on the forecourt. Today was to be another momentous moment in his long and difficult life.

The manual says 170ml of oil required. Remembering last time pouring half of it on the garage floor because of the awkward filling cap position, I leaned Percy at a 45 degree angle against the wall. Then using my engine oil jug, measuring in the required amount, I carefully poured the fresh pink(!) oil through the minuscule hole. A few dribbles, but overall a satisfactory fill. Another good sign.

The excitement was beginning to build again. The same questions spinning in my mind, so taking my time I checked everything I could think of. All seemed well.

The moment had come. Will Percy ever breath life again? After agitating his tank a while, to try and mix the 2 stroke oil back in, I turned the fuel tap on. Immediately the fuel filled the clear filter. So no blockage there then. Then after a brief tickle of the carb, fuel was seen to be there too. This is it. The big test.

Pulling the clutch clamp in, I tried a first kick, noticing a significant difference in compression during the kick since he last lived....

Ring, ting, Ning, ting, ting, Ning... He instantly burst in to life! I couldn't believe it. Magnificent!

After leaving him to gently warm up for a few minutes, I donned my helmet and gently rode him up the road and back. Smooth. He held his tickover at standstill and pulled away smoothly at the rise of revs. Unbelievable.

I turned him off, sent a few texts of elation, then got my gloves and jacket (and tools in his top box), to take him for a longer run for a few miles on the quiet roads near us.

For some reason people appear to think Percy is funny. I fail to see what is to laugh at?  ;) Whilst riding around I got lots of points from people and laughs. At one point I even got a cheer from a large crowd outside a house on one of the side streets.

Then on the way home, whilst waiting at a junction a young bloke with his son ran towards me shouting for me to wait. I wasn't in one of the nicer parts of town, so thought I may be subject to a hijacking, so was ready to start pedalling hard. However, there was no need to worry. When he got upto me he smiled and started telling me he's been looking at 'pedal and pops' on the internet last night. He then got into a deep discussion about what I'd done with Percy and seemed terribly impressed. In fact, he loved it and said it's just made him want one even more. Ahh, the joy of mopeds, bringing together all walks of life in to two stroke harmony  ;D ;D ;D

To be honest, on the way home, he did cut out on Burlam Road, but started after a few kicks, so I'll need to keep an eye on him. But overall, I'm over the moon that he's back on the road. I'm happy to tweak as I go now. Go Percy, go!  8) ;D ;D
Steadyaway
Net Rider

Postby dr_moped » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Nice shine on the clutch cover.
How many teeth on your pedal crank ?
I never had a PUCH with that style pedal crank.
In Canada, they had that style pedal crank,but USA might never had those.
dr_moped
Net Rider

Postby John » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:11 am

Great write up, much appreciated. Pedal and pops is a fitting description. Puch had several different pedal configurations for ratios. Crap shoot what you may have but a larger front is always desirable.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby ybot1983 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:50 am

good job on the rebuild

I think all Puch riders have that experience of incredulous stares and reaction when riding them

I commute through London and probably three times in a trip ill get a reminiscence from men of a certain age or even envious looks from hipsters on their Vespas

Toby
ybot1983
Net Rider

Postby Steadyaway » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:56 am

dr_moped wrote:Nice shine on the clutch cover.
How many teeth on your pedal crank ?
I never had a PUCH with that style pedal crank.
In Canada, they had that style pedal crank,but USA might never had those.

Not sure how many teeth on the pedal crank, but it's very low ratio, so you pedal like billio and get nowhere! However, I fit a 17 tooth drive sprocket on the front, as recommended by Martin at YPV. At full revs, I was measured doing 42mph on the flat, which isn't bad for a bike that peaks at 25mph in standard trim. But that is fast enough! The brakes and suspension aren't built for it.

You'll note I've fitted a race crank in the rebuild too, as it is more robust for higher sustained revs, ready for when I do the Coast to Coast on it again in July 140miles each way) :-)

The clutch cover was polished by a friend when I had the engine in bits. He tried the engine body too, but the shapes were too awkward. Looks great though, so will need to keep on top of it now to stop it oxidising again.
Steadyaway
Net Rider

Postby Steadyaway » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:07 am

ybot1983 wrote:good job on the rebuild

I think all Puch riders have that experience of incredulous stares and reaction when riding them

I commute through London and probably three times in a trip ill get a reminiscence from men of a certain age or even envious looks from hipsters on their Vespas

Toby

Thanks Toby. I was on a charity ride on it last weekend. When parked up amongst loads of bigger bikes, it was amazing how many people took more interest in the Puch. It was dressed up a bit, but as you say, there was plenty of men of a certain age who we're taking photos and asking lots of questions ;-)

It was satisfying that it got more support than the monkey bike too, as there is some gentle rivalry between me and the monkey! :-)

Steadyaway
Net Rider

Re: Newbie from Uk

Postby allana13 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:40 am

Hi

Where abouts in the UK are you

Nice build man... I am looking for a Puch too....
allana13
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders