New on board & tool question

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

New on board & tool question

Postby CollyKreidler » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:27 pm

I bought the 1953 K50 from Justin Shepard. Sight unseen even. He wasn't but 45 minutes down the road from me and, after all, I'm '52 model myself. Was looking for a Kreidler moped for years and saw them all over the northeast, central or southeast USA. Occasionally on the west coast in California. A '77 model popped up in Austin about 4 miles from my house but the guy wanted 4,500 USD. I offered 450 and it upset him. Told him to call me when it hadn't sold in 6 months. Never heard from him. Year or so later Justin appears on Craigslist. Made him an offer he accepted and I did a paypal credit card purchase. Can't believe my luck. May not ever get it running but will give it a good solid try. Have been introduced to a couple of old school motor heads in the neighborhood who can probably help. So that's my story so far.

My tool question has to do with the flywheel puller tool. I'm confident I can make one up if I can find out the type of threads needed to screw into the flywheel. Anybody got a clue? I have metric thread cout feelers but how in the heck is the diameter determined? Look forward to reading and posting photos. If it just cannot be made to run, I'll hang it on a wall in the livingroom. And I'll still be glad I bought it!
CollyKreidler
Net Rider

Re: New on board & tool question

Postby CollyKreidler » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:58 pm

Forgot mention a long and very interesting conversation with Jon Gaskil about all things Kreidler. Told him I'd try not to bother him too much. See how that goes as I make progress.
CollyKreidler
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:38 am

I use a cheap digital caliper for measuring that sort of thing. Whatever the interior diameter measures should be the size you're looking for.

Good luck with your project! :)
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby CollyKreidler » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks, Mike, got one of those calipers but always figured the dimension would be to the outside edge of the thread.
CollyKreidler
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:30 pm

I could be wrong, (it happens on occasion :) ) but If I remember right, diameters are measured between the thread "valleys" for external threads, and between the "peaks" of internal threads.

I suppose you could take the calipers with you, once you have the measurement just to make sure. 8)
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders