82 Urban Express Delux (I think)

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

82 Urban Express Delux (I think)

Postby Barlow46 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:57 am

Recently decided to revive this one. 1982 year and has the electric start option with auto choke. Been sitting for at least 15 years inside climate controlled garage. Has 900 miles on it. So far, I have changed all fluids, checked compression (thumb check), new battery, cleaned carb (three times), new air filter and cleaned small "choke box?" filter, removed muffler and found no carbon buildup, replaced both tires and tubes, cleaned fuel tank and installed inline filter. Oil injection is working.

Fuel flows great to carb and I can get it started but am having a problem getting the idle setting correct. (I used settings found in Fred's write up). When cleaning the carb I found a very small opening in the side of the bowl. I tried cleaning it out by soaking overnight and by running a very small piece of stainless leader wire (fishing) but don't think I ever cleaned it completely. Not sure how critical this is to the idle problem.

Also I have not removed the main tube that is pressed into the carb that houses the jet. I understand that that can be crushed easily but does need to be thoroughly cleaned. I plan on placing a drill bit that just fits inside the tube and using small vice grips to unseat it so that I can clean it and hopefully not crush it with the drill bit inside.

Any suggestions on what I am dealing with. Thanks and yes I am new to this forum.
Barlow46
Net Rider

Re: 82 Urban Express Delux (I think)

Postby tortoise » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:56 pm

Barlow46 wrote:small opening in the side of the bowl

Related
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby Barlow46 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks. That helps and I will take a closer look at what I can do with it.
Barlow46
Net Rider

Postby Barlow46 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:33 pm

Got it open and is running well. Need to tweak the throttle adjustment a bit but all in all very pleased with the outcome.

On a side note, I have a close friend who is a dentist and I remembered the last time I had a root canal done. When he finished removing the pulp from the root using some very small diameter stainless pulp extractors, I asked him how they worked. It seems that they are similar to a broken screw extractor bit. They are very thin at the point and gradually increase in diameter for about an inch. When you twist them counterclockwise they remove the pulp, very much like an auger would dig a post hole. I told him I would like to have a few of the old ones as I thought they would work well to open small diameter passageways in a carburetor. Last night I took one that he had given me and used it to open the passageway in the honda carb bowl. It worked like a charm. With just a few light twists on the "pick", the hole was cleaned out. That helped solve my problem. Those dental tools come in at least three different sizes and all go from at least .005 (or less) to .060 and possibly more. Great little tool for a carb cleaning. That was about the only good thing that came out of the root canal deal. Might want to ask your local dentist to save you a couple.

Thanks to all.
Barlow46
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders