Sachs 504 Magneto Options Bosch vs Motoplat

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Sachs 504 Magneto Options Bosch vs Motoplat

Postby DeeJames » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:28 am

I just purchased a Hercules Westlake with a Sachs 504 engine that has severely worn points and refuses to run for more than a few seconds even after re-adjusting the timing and carb. I would like to overhaul the ignition and replace the points and condenser but it came equipped with a motoplat magneto and I can not find replacements anywhere.

I'm now wondering if I can swap to the Bosch magneto, points, and condenser as they seem to be more plentiful - although I still haven't found one.

Or is there another suitable magneto from another moped that can fit this engine? I have heard the za50 can work but was not told whether it requires heavy modification or new flywheel. Any help here would be appreciated. I would like to get it running near stick before contemplating a CDI upgrade and even then there doesn't seem to be any CDI setup designed for the 504. Things seem to favor the 505. I'm at a loss for knowledge and experience and fling myself at the feet of more experienced mechanics and riders. Thank you for your help!
DeeJames
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders