1975 Casal K166

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

1975 Casal K166

Postby jaycalgary » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:29 am

I bought a 1975 Casal K166 a couple days ago. Sounds like they are hard to find parts for. I mostly just need small pieces to make it complete. The 1st problem I had was the shaft for the pedals was bent on both sides. I managed to straighten the shaft out by unbolting and turning the pedal crank 180 degrees and a few hits on the old pedals with a big hammer. Probably risky and brutal but did work. I drained what was left in the rusty gas tank and filled it with cider vinegar for the night. I drained the transmission oil but am concerned because I think it was just old gas also. Hoping that doesn't necessarily mean I have a cracked block? I used engine degreaser and compressed air for cleaning. I am kicking myself because I used compressed air to clean the threads on red plastic transmission oil cap and I blew the white plastic washer and what looked like steel wool out. I doubt I will ever find these. Now I just have the red camp with a small hole on the top. Anything I can do? I tried starting it by just dumping some gas in with the spark plug. It starts no problem. The sediment bowl on the petcock has a crack on the side and drips. Not sure what I can do to replace it. Was thinking of a piece of clear plastic bag inside it for now and hope it will stop the dripping. Think I will get to take it for a ride tomorrow when I put new gas lines on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaycalgary
Net Rider

Re: 1975 Casal K166

Postby jaycalgary » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:31 am

Have the engine cover but will need some welding. Has a few cracks and at least one bracket to hold it on is missing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaycalgary
Net Rider

Postby RidingRick » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:41 am

Hello! Welcome to the moped menagerie. One of the best sources for parts and information I've found is Myron's Mopeds in Fullerton, California. Here's the link to the site: http://www.myronsmopeds.com/ . It's a great place for getting to know what makes mopeds tick and how to keep them on the road. Good luck, and ride safely!
RidingRick
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:43 am

There is someone on MopedArmy that has a horde of Casal nos parts. Give a shout out on the buy and sell there. I have a 1974 Boss K166 restored, haven't run it in years and sits in my basement nice and dry! Where in Ontario are you? Manual in the repair section above and Zundapp 50 cc motors are what Casal cloned under licence.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:40 am

Also have the cover but have never installed. I also will need to put tabs pn to mount it. It is nos from the individual on MA.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby jaycalgary » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:47 am

Hi the bike is by Sault Ste Marie out at camp . I did use the manual. I think it is the K196 one that has the same motor. I see now there is a good amount of places to get some parts. The worst part of getting it going was the carb. The float bowl was seized and filled with hard to remove white junk. Once I finally figured out the little brass screw in the bottom was a jet and needed the pin hole unplugged it ran right away. I bogs down if I give it full throttle. The last owner lost the air jet screw and spring on the outside and replaced it with just a bolt. I can't find a replacement? I think i will try filing the bolt end to a point like it should be. I see they make a replica but the air jet is on the opposite side. There is also a rebuild kind but am guessing it wont really work with my original. Think there would be much or an improvement putting the replica on or just keep it original? I took It for an hour or so ride on all the dirt roads by the camp. It does 30mph and 37mph down hill. Has a hard time going up steep hills though. Not sure if I should really be expecting more out of a bike this size. Sure is fun to ride though.
jaycalgary
Net Rider

Postby jaycalgary » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:17 am

My cover has quite a few cracks. I will be putting the cover back on. I am missing one tab for sure but I wont be using any of them because it will probably just rattle and break again some day.. I am just going to go to Home Depot and get a piece of angle aluminum cut 2 pieces that will go hole to hole on each side and it should last.
jaycalgary
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Carb is a Bing 17mm. Regular rebuild kits for the other bikes that use smaller Bings will not work. The adjusting screw though is probably the same.
If bogging you may have a air leak at the manifold or the adjuster. Will need air box on to run right. Clean and soak the carb in a 50/50 mixture of pinesol and water then blow every passage way out with compressed air. A fine brass or copper wire reamed up every orifice will also help. They are simple carbs. Set the needle mid way.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:12 pm

mopedsurgery.com has some interesting trials and tribulations of a Toronto Casal owner and restoring. Site is a little disjointed so you may need to jump around a lot to glean some information.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders