How do you preform an engine swap?

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

How do you preform an engine swap?

Postby Batavus1977 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:04 pm

Hello to all!

So I have a 1977 Batavus moped. Runs on a 48 cc 2 stroke engine. I have some questions regarding the engine and swapping it. First question is, can I put any engine on the moped or only a specific one. Does it only hold 2 stroke engines or can I put a 4 stroke? Another question is, what's the biggest engine I can put on it without adding any modifications. Just bolting on and bolting off. Would it have to be a 48cc or can I put a 2 stroke 80cc and be fine? Would I have to put another carberator or can I leave the original one? How would I go about swapping the engines? Very handy and can do it, I just need that General information and steps to get it done. Thank you!
Batavus1977
Net Rider

Re: How do you preform an engine swap?

Postby John » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:20 am

Depends if upright or horizontal motor! Motor mounts is the first point then alignment of sprockets. Electrics next. Anything can be done but safety is also a factor! Will there be room, many people have swapped horizontal Honda clone motors out on Tomos frames, goggle that to get a idea and also u-tube.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders