kc trike explain the tomos tranny circlip

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

kc trike explain the tomos tranny circlip

Postby MopedFool » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:17 pm

Over on moped2.org donp talked about how a circlip can come off tomos trannys and lock them up. He said to ask KC trike about it. About a week ago I was putting my tranny back together after replacing a seal and I heard a part drop somewhere out of sight in to the tranny. Anyway now, the rear wheel will only turn about one revolution and then it gets stuck. Could this be the deal on my a35 sprint?

This is the post where it came up.

http://moped2.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1582&PN=1
MopedFool
Regional Rider

re: kc trike explain the tomos tranny circlip

Postby MopedFool » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:17 am

Well, that clip isn't broken and I didn't really fool with parts 10-17 (its a kickstart sprint so there's nothing on that side coming out of th crank) except when dug out some shims that had been dropped into the unkown. Only thing is that circlip won't go back in all the way, i'll ook at it tomorrow, thanks.

I'll figure something out. =/
MopedFool
Regional Rider

Postby kex » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:35 am

On my tomos, that wasn't the circlip that cracked and stopped me. Mine was part # 032 083

All the way behind the clutches. I also had to replace bearing #035 070.

It's so thin you'd think it was made to break!
Keith Wallace
----------------
1982 honda urban express (nu50)-65cc metra kit, proma low boy exhaust
kex
Regional Rider

Postby MopedFool » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:47 pm

I fixed it. It was the circlip all along, the spring in my kickstart is broken and it pushed the circlip out around its housing, so it was rubbing against the gears. I didn't realize I had to take off the gears and chain to put the circlip back in. Thanks.
MopedFool
Regional Rider

Postby donp » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:22 pm

glad to hear that i pointed you in the right direction and you got it fixed. when it comes to tomos trannies, trike IS the man.
donp

Postby MopedFool » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:02 pm

I just broke it again. I constantly spin the rear wheel while putting the tranny back together to see if it binds up (the previous problem), and in doing so I'm guessing I knocked the circlip back into the groove it was in before. I'll see when I tear it down tomorrow. Tearing down that tranny is a pain because you need chisels to get that first gear off. LOL
MopedFool
Regional Rider

Postby John » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:15 am

Sounds like it is time for a new circlip, unless you are taking them out by the right tools you stress them and thus deforming. Cheap part-replace it.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby donp » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:13 pm

every circlip, snap ring, and E clip has a rounded side and a square cut side. make sure that when installing it, you face it so the any pressure put on it will be applied to the rounded side. if not, it will keep popping off. so if the gears push to the outside of the engine case, then the square side of the circlip needs to face outward. its pretty important. this applies to everything.
donp

Postby MopedFool » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:53 pm

Great donp, another reason to tear this thing down again!!!!
MopedFool
Regional Rider

Postby donp » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:26 pm

yea but really take your time. inspect everything. make sure everything lines up exactly the way it should. and remember that finess is better than force.
and if you ever want to build a tough one, tear down a peerless 940 series tractor transmission, lol.
donp

Return to Moped Riders