Wimping out TODAY! Too nasty to ride!

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Wimping out TODAY! Too nasty to ride!

Postby don-ohio » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:19 am

Well,actually, I c-c-c-could ride if I h-h-h-had to. LOL! But I'm toasty warm, here at work `til 7PM.
The weather has really changed! It was 26 degrees when I got up at 5:30 AM, and when I got done splitting some large logs for the fire, I left for work. When I got to work the temp. had dropped to 24.
Hours later it's dropped to 17 here. And the WIND is gusting badly.
Still......if I weren't at work,Ida' prolly tried the `C-C-C-C-Cold Weather Challenge ride today. Ha!
I'll bet you folks in MI and Cleveland and other North spots are getting it really bad.
`Ped `til yer RED!' ......`NO small-wheeled pothole divers need apply! LOL!' don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

re: Wimping out TODAY! Too nasty to ride!

Postby kex » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:25 am

Yeah, it's pretty cold here, the biggest obstacles for riding aren't the cold, but the salt and ice that's left over from yesterday's snow. According to weather.com, it's currently 12, and the wibnd chill is -6. If the other drivers weren't such idiots, I wouldn't mind doing some riding, but people just love to drive like morons in the snow and ice around here, but I do like riding in the evenings after most traffic is gone. I might take a spin after work.
Keith Wallace
----------------
1982 honda urban express (nu50)-65cc metra kit, proma low boy exhaust
kex
Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:46 am

Sounds good,Keith! Riding a little on a day like that is a triumph over Evil. Ha!
Yeah...watch out for joyriders! It's warmed up to 19 outside with the sun shining. That sunshine makes a world of difference,yannow?
`Ped `til yer RED!' ......`NO small-wheeled pothole divers need apply! LOL!' don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby Tab » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:15 pm

It was 24 wayyyy down south here this morning. Our little Chihuahua was not a happy pee-er this morning.
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:21 pm

Wow,Tab! That's cold for the South alright! Is this coming from our fine Canadian neighbors?
Well......they can have that back along with the mad cow disease too! LOL!
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby John » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:38 pm

Wow, arn't we nasty and crusty. Maybe if you had a better method of checking your cows... you wouldn't be in this mess. As if BSE has never been in the US. You must be in Jackson's Neverland. Enjoy the cold.. could it be from out west, follow the jet stream. Bye for now.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby donp » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:47 pm

been snowing like crazy here all day. the wind gusts seem to be keeping the accumulation down somehow. got only like 2 maybe 3 inches so far. damn lake effect snow!
donp

Postby don-ohio » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:11 pm

Hey,John! Good afternoon! You must not have been under TOO many blankets! Got a RISE out of you didn't I ? LOL!
I think the bad weather has made you more CRUSTY than me today! Ha!
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby John » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:36 pm

Don-O. Blankets/ sleeping bags anything. Too darn cold. Ya you got me there with your Canadian rant. So end it . We both have one thing in common and thats" Peds and no Snails need apply". Have a good one Don, I enjoy all your bits and bytes on all the forums. Maybe we will meet at one of the rides this spring/summer and enjoy a big fat steak. Ha! or is that eh!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:19 pm

Yeah.......a big fat steak!I'd like that,John! Me on the Atkins Maintenance Diet maintaining my 200 lbs.(used to be over 230). I need to lose 20 more. Ha!
Funny........I took some excellent home-grown ground chuck to Ike's first ride. Maybe will see you on the next one?
`Bout `mad cow' disease.....I'm not worried about the Canadian origin or where it came from.......long as they know to get it stopped. I was just trying to wake up some Canadians and probably should've picked a less touchy subject.
We're mostly fun here on the forums. Every once in a while someone gets offended at something someone says...me?......but I usually only rant when ranted on. LOL!
Take care and stay warm,John......eh?
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby Tab » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:24 pm

That windshield makes all the difference in the world. Unfortunately, the winds we get here are too strong and it would act as a power-sail or something.
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:01 pm

Was that on your moped,Freud? That's neat you have a windshield now. I have the same trouble.......gloves letting my hands get cold. I have no gauntlets, but the wide shield takes some air off them.
I've found that no single pair of gloves I have will totally keep away the cold. So I use an oversized pair of outer thermal gloves with regular cotton work gloves inside.
Two layers makes a difference! Covering the knees with stretchy knee braces then the thermals helps the joints. But you're talking temps I've never ridden in,I don't think. 21 degrees.......I've done maybe 50 miles or more at night in 32 degrees. That's about it.
Well, as the Bible says.........`stay warm and well fed everyone'. I THINK it says that? Ha!
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby Paul » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:41 am

gotta get that snowsuit donohio.......and quickly......your not being stubborn, are you??
1978 bianchi bianchimatic
1980 puch magnum mk2(kitted)
2001 cosmo stinger
Paul
Net Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders