[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Moped Riders Association • View topic - Decompression Valve problem- moving too much.

Decompression Valve problem- moving too much.

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Decompression Valve problem- moving too much.

Postby amodoko » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi, you guys might have already read my problem in another post but now I'm specifically tackling one end of my problem. My decompression valve on the cylinder keeps on going up and down when my moped's motor is on. I've been told it should stay in place and that's why my moped sounds like a harley or like firecrackers are going off. Can anyone help me fix this decompression valve problem? I really need to fix this problem soon for my Father. Thanks in advance.
amodoko
Net Rider

re: Decompression Valve problem- moving too much.

Postby Smitty » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:51 pm

I've installed a small spring on the valve, to make sure that it is normally closed, when the cable is not pulled. The spring will have to be between the base of the valve fitting, where it goes into the head, and below the pin or clip (whichever style of valve it is) at the top end of the valve stem. If the correct spring is installed correctly, then this will pull the valve closed. In theory, the valve should stay closed once the engine is running...the compression is supposed to shut it, but, when the piston is on it's way back down, sounds like it's pulling the valve open...thus, explaining the popping and loss of power.

Hope this helps, and hope you can fix it!!!

;^)
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby ItsLookingUp » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:50 am

If you need parts. I beleive Handy Bikes and Akron Mopeds both stock Sachs parts.
Lenny
ItsLookingUp
Master Regional Rider

Postby amodoko » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:28 pm

amodoko
Net Rider

Postby amodoko » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:30 pm

Hey guys, thanks so much! I actually realized my decompression valve was more screwed up then I said (it was quite bent up) , so I knew it would be hard to put a spring on. I ended up taking some key chain wire and shaping it to what I needed. It now works just like it's supposed to. The valve stays closed unless the lever is pressed. So no more harley noise!! Thanks, haha, and also my moped runs a little faster now. It has a lot less lag when starting from a standstill. I appreciate the help guys, thanks for sharing the knowledge.
amodoko
Net Rider

Postby maverick50616 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:20 pm

Is there a link to Akron mopeds?
maverick50616
Net Rider

Postby Smitty » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:38 pm

Gald to hear you fixed it!!! Now let's see how long it takes ya' to flip the odometer on it, LOL!!!

Good job!
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Re: Decompression Valve problem- moving too much.

Postby wuhuilin11 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:55 pm

wuhuilin11
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders