[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Moped Riders Association • View topic - how to change tires

how to change tires

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

how to change tires

Postby juiceman » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:25 am

I don't know how to change a moped tire, but I can change a bike tire. Should I do it do it like that, or is there some trick to it? Which tires and inner tubes (USA made preferably) are good for the every day commute of 15 miles. I also want to add some of that anti-flat-tire goo. How do I do that ?
Thanks,
Jutan
'78 Honda Hobbit
DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING
BUT
WILLING TO LEARN
juiceman
Net Rider

re: how to change tires

Postby don-ohio » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:42 am

Yeah...it's like changing a bicycle tire, except moped tire beads don't stretch,since they have wire reinforcing in them and a lot of bicycles' tires don't. I generally wrap some DUCT TAPE on screwdriver shafts and use a common brake lever that adjusts car brakes. I line the inside of the tire with a film of corn starch to let the tube find it's best position.
That be a 17" tire on that Hobbit,right?
Any moped shop will have good tires for it, and a Honda shop can get you the originals probably.
I'd avoid the Hindustan brand. Go for michelin or Cheng Shins. In 17" I've never gotten a bad Cheng Shin, although I've heard some people have had trouble fitting 16" on Tomos.
I think you just squeeze that stuff into a deflated tube with valve core removed and then replace core and air it up.
I'm ordering some flat-free for motorcycles soon. It's more expensive than SLIME, but it has no limit on it's effectiveness after a cople years like `snail',er I mean Slime does.LOL! don-ohio (:^)
`Ped `til yer RED!' ......`NO small-wheeled pothole divers need apply! LOL!' don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby butnut » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:03 am

Yup, I was shocked how hard it was to remove the IBC tires off the Magnum mags...I mean it was freakin' hard! I've restored a lot of Schwinns and I figured this was no different, I was almost ready to cut the damn beads off. I used a 12" crowbar and big screwdrivers to inch those gums off...I was sweatin' bullets. Now putting the Sava slicks on my Maxi mags, was cake, used the nylon bike tire spoons and it was as easy as any bike tire.
I could'nt find any 17" moped tires here...I ordered my Savas from Ikes Bikes...good price and service.
I'd get Michelins if I used my ped everyday.
butnut
Distinguished Rider

Postby don-ohio » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:31 am

I've got a set of Cheng Shin knobbies for my oldest Sebring this winter. They'll bite thru mud and do tolerable in light snow.
Handy Bikes had `em for 17.50 apiece I believe. I had some before,but finally wore them out. They don't wear out quickly like most aggressive treaded tires.
I hope to rest the StreetMate a little this winter. The old Sebring will do just fine! don-ohio (:^D
`Ped `til yer RED!' ......`NO small-wheeled pothole divers need apply! LOL!' don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:18 pm

Here's some tips that I use on motorcycle and moped tires. Let both tires sit out in the sun. The heat will soften them. Buy a couple of the plastic rim protectors. They will slide on your rims and protect against gouging. Pull the inner tube valve core to let the air completely come out. Spray a liberal amount of Armorall around the rim try to ensure that the Armorall gets between the rim and the tire. You can press down on the tire where it meets the rim and the Armorall will work it's way around the rim. Start by placing your tire lever underneath the tire lip/bead making sure you don't place the tire lever too far in and pinch the tube putting a hole in it. Once you have placed the tire lever underneath the lip/bead push down on the lever which will pull the tire bead over the rim. Move your protectors around the rim while prying the tire off. Usually once you have about one-third of the tire up you can pull it up the rest of the way with hand levering. Once you have one side up then hold the tire off the rim and pull the tube out. Once the tube is out then repeat the tire levering process on the bottom portion of the tire. When the tire is off the rim you will repeat the process except you are now prying the tire on. Once the bottom is on then put in the tube and pull the valve stem completely through the hole in the rim. Now pry on the top of the tire. Care is to be taken when filling the tire with air. You only want enough to seat the tire on the rim.. Leave the valve core out while putting air in initially. Once the tires bead is seated then put the valve core in and fill to suggested pressure. One other thought; while you have the tire off the rim inspect the rim portion where the inner tube would meet the rim. On spoked wheels you'll want to make sure the spoke nipples aren't protruding which could cause an eventual flat. Make sure the "rim strip" (if it has one) is intact. That's about it.
wardie
Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:41 pm

Great info.,Wardie! I don't remove the valve core because of the way I progressively air it up. But your way works great,too.
Since we've gotten into pretty good detail here, one trick i use to make sure the tire sits perfectly on the rim all the way around, is I put maybe 5-7 psi in there, and bounce the tire while rotating it(the corn starch you dusted it with earlier will help the tube find a perfect position within as you bounce it). Then i increase the air to maybe 15 lbs. and do it again. Then I LOOK all around the bead and see if it's uniformly seated. After that I just put the correct amount of air in there. don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby duck » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:49 pm

changing tires is easy to me.. I just take the wheel off..
couple or bolts and nuts... throw them int he back of the truck and let the guys at the bike shop do it.. if i buy a innertube or tire or whatever or even buy them a beer they usualy do it free.
duck
Master Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:07 pm

HaHaHaaaa! Yeah,Duck...that's a good way.too!
I've gotta get a tire soon for the StreetMate's rear.....it looks like it'll take a size 100/90 in a metric. BJ doesn't have anything that big in a 16", so it's gonna be special order,I guess. don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:59 pm

yes bouncing the tire seats it evenly around the rim. And the corn starch is the bomb when it comes to make the tube feel comfy nestled between the rim and the tire. Very good points Don-O
wardie
Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:55 pm

Actually,I usually go inside the house and grab the `baby powder'.....I sprinkle it into the casing and then turn the tire around a lot to cover the inside,then dump out the excess.
Some tubes actually have a talc-like coating on them already if you've noticed. don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:25 am

On a different note, I found my tire I think. JC Whitney has a good road tread design on a 3.25 X16" with a comparable load range (410 lbs) to the StreetMate's Sava.
It's item #ZX622176A for 32.99 if anyone with a StreetMate or Revival wants to know. They have a little smaller one, numbered item# ZX621646U for 31.99 that looks to be the typical type tread you see on Michelins and Cheng Shins. They have very good traction.
I haven't checked with ChrisMWH yet, but any tire i buy will not be semi-slick type like came on the StreetMate.
don-ohio (:^)
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:33 am

Oh my I didn't think Ruglide was available anymore? Great tip Jerry. Man Ruglide brings back memories of when I was a 16 year old working in my Dad's gas station and that's all we ever used. Wardie
wardie
Regional Rider

Postby juiceman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:41 am

'78 Honda Hobbit
DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING
BUT
WILLING TO LEARN
juiceman
Net Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders