Help with Motobecane Mobylette 50V

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Help with Motobecane Mobylette 50V

Postby fishfun83 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:39 am

My son is going to college and I am trying to get a Motobecane Mobylette 50V running so he does not have to take the bus to classes every day. I get no spark to the spark plug and my understanding is that the coils rarely go bad. I have cleaned the points and set them to the best of my ability. I am now looking for the condenser. I am told the resistance of the condenser should be less than 200 ohms. Where would I find the condenser...if it has one? I am confused. I have looked at the moped manual and can not get a good answer on this? Anyone help?
fishfun83
Net Rider

re: Help with Motobecane Mobylette 50V

Postby ItsLookingUp » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:22 am

The condenser should be near the points. Have you checked that the taillight has a good bulb. When you say you are not getting spark I wonder, are you getting any electric?
Lenny
ItsLookingUp
Master Regional Rider

Postby fishfun83 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:53 am

If the switch on the handlebar is turned off, the horn beeps. I know the headlight works but I am not sure about the tail light. I will check the bulb now.
fishfun83
Net Rider

Postby fishfun83 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:12 am

I checked the tail light bulb and it is good. I still can not find the condenser. Seems like I read somewhere that it is located under one of the three windings in the magneto. The one I thought it was under, which was the one to the left if you are looking straight at it, has no condenser under it. I wonder, if that is where it should be, if the previous owner removed it and could not find a replacement?
fishfun83
Net Rider

Postby ItsLookingUp » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:42 am

It should have a condensor between the two windings. Is there a loose wire under there?
Lenny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ItsLookingUp
Master Regional Rider

Postby ItsLookingUp » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:51 am

Here is another drawing that shows the condensor better.
Lenny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ItsLookingUp
Master Regional Rider

Postby don-ohio » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:05 am

FishFun.....that horn shouldn't sound unless the horn button is depressed. I now am suspecting the switch has a short or broken wire in it. My horn switch stuck on once on a moped and it kept the bike from having enough spark to start.
Nice pics, Lenny! He can't miss that condensor. Ha! don-ohio (:^D
`Ped `til yer RED!' ......`NO small-wheeled pothole divers need apply! LOL!' don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby fishfun83 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:08 am

I think I found it. It appears to be directly behind the points and not underneath the magneto housing. My magneto has three coils in it rather than the two I see in the photo. I checked the condenser and had a reading of .6 ohms. Maybe that is the problem.
fishfun83
Net Rider

Postby Mopedrepairmanuals » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:00 am

>>>If the switch on the handlebar is turned off, the horn beeps.

Actually the horn is supposed to sound if the switch is off and the moped is pedaled. It is strange, but documented in the owners manuasl
Mopedrepairmanuals
Net Rider

Postby fishfun83 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:12 am

Is .6 ohms an indication of a bad condenser? If so, I think I can go to mopedsonline and order one.
fishfun83
Net Rider

Postby don-ohio » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:13 am

Hmmmmm...THANKS for the info.,MRM !
I DO know that is NOT the case with my Sebrings though. I haven't seen that in the shop manual, but I have never read the owners' manual so I'll take your word for it. don-ohio (:^)
`Ped `til yer RED!' ......`NO small-wheeled pothole divers need apply! LOL!' don-ohio (:^D
don-ohio
Regional Rider

Postby jimozs » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:46 pm

1976 mobylette v50 ran fine till flywheel loosened while running. now I have no spark. points don't begin to open till piston is almost all the way to the bottom of cylinder instead of 2mm BTDC. I am stumped. Replaced condensor and mounted to coil. I have tail light, headlight and horn. Can't find anything on net as to my problem. Any ideas? Widest point opening set to .010-.020. New spark plug. How do I get timing reversed so points just begin to open BTDC?
jimozs
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:15 pm

When the flywheel came loose, the cam rotated as it is a taper fit to the crankshaft, without a key. Use a puller to pull it off the flywheel if necessary. Finding the timing again can be tricky but start out with the cam positioned so that the points open just before top dead center and mark it's location to the crank. Set the points to nominal gap. Find TDC by using a wooden coffee stirrer pressed against the piston, turn the crank CW to top, and put a mark on the wood at the top of the head. Good eye and feel are necessary here to spot the exact location of TDC. People will say use a piston stop but with that you have the slop in the connecting rod as backlash to throw it off. Put another mark 2mm below that TDC one, and that is your reference for the timing mark BTDC, where the points should open. Hook up a multimeter to the grey wire and ground, set the meter to buzz mode. Turn the crank CW until the buzzer stops and if the timing is correct, the lower line will line up with the top of the head.
supercub
Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders