QT50 headlight solution finally.

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

QT50 headlight solution finally.

Postby xrongor » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:31 pm

anyone who's blown the headlight on a QT knows what a pain this is. 45 bucks for a new sealed unit. the bulb cannot be replaced. ive tried rigging some things up with varying degrees of success but i think ive finally nailed it.

http://store.yahoo.com/dratv/c70replaceable.html

I'm using this replacement light for a honda passport with the 12V/25W/25W bulb. the assembly costs 20 bucks. why the 12 volt? cause the 6 volts blow too easy if the battery becomes disconnected. light blows for any reason and its a 3$ bulb to replace not some 45$ part.

in fact, im using this light on a QT with no battery.

the light is a bit smaller, but you cut out the inserts on the stock headlight ring, lay a piece of hose in the bucket to keep it from rattlling, and drill a hole on each side to mount it, it goes in like a glove and looks great. puts out plenty of light too.

DO NOT REMOVE THE TAB THAT ATTACHES THE LIGHT TO THE BUCKET!!!

as for the wiring, it just plugs right in. you may get the low/high beam backwards but just swap the wires if you do.

attached are some pictures. hope someone finds this useful

why does this put the pictures in reverse order of how you add them? go from bottom to top i guess.

randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xrongor
Net Rider

re: QT50 headlight solution finally.

Postby mike65072 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:30 pm

Great tip, thanks!!!
mike65072
Net Rider

Postby TowerTower » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:58 pm

Great post @xrongor. After going thru 2 headlights, my neighbour is going to appreciate this tip muchly!
TowerTower
Net Rider

Postby xrongor » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:26 pm

yeah im proud of this one <g>

i figured i would be spending the whole day monkeying with it and it only took about 30 mins. the breakthrough was the tube for a shim. set the tube in the ring and get the light nice and settled so theres pressure on the tube, but its not hitting the QT headlight ring, then drill a hole on each side.

actually drill the ring holes first and mark where you want the holes in the new headlight with a nail or something stuck through the ring holes once you get it aligned and close. makes it easier to drill them without doing two at once. then just tighten the nuts enough to tighten it. if you go too far youll just smash the tube and the light will rub and buzz when you ride it.

i went down and bought proper hardware and used 2 nylock type nuts on the two bolts holding it to together but blue locktite would work too. i just had drywall screws in it for testing. but i had it out for about 10 miles of washboard montana dirt road at WOT and its holding just fine.

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby xrongor » Wed May 03, 2006 10:12 pm

just a follow up...

after a while i started having some occasional buzzing because the tab you use to attach the QT ring to the bucket is sticks out enough to rub the unused tab and some of the ring on the new light. simply bending the tab on the light isnt quite enough to take care of it. so i took a dremmel to the new light and eyballed it and cut away everything that looked like it might hit, and no more buzz. If you look at the middle pic above you can see both tabs and how they might hit.

after 100 or so miles, much of it offroad, its still working perfectly. i installed a second one in my QT with a battery in it and its also working perfect.

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby daveh221 » Tue May 15, 2007 7:19 pm

Hello
I have a 1979 QT. and I did burn out a light. And Yes it did cost $45.00 I don't know why it burned out. I checked the conections, maybe something wiggled and unpluged. So I'm going to try your quik fix.
What I am wondering will the twelve volt light affect the coil? Will the light burn the coil out? When the light burned out I think the tail light also burned out too. How often do you change the spark plug? What type plug do you use?

BURN-RUBBER
daveh221
Net Rider

Postby imatch » Tue May 15, 2007 7:41 pm

ha thats too funny when i picked up my 1979 red qt50 from miami, i started right up after 15 years of sitting! which is crazy the headlight got real bright then blew out and a few minutes later the tail light also blew out x.x
1986 Yamaha QT50 blue, 1979 Yamaha QT50 red both FOR SALE!
imatch
Net Rider

Postby xrongor » Tue May 15, 2007 7:56 pm

they burn cause the battery is bad/weak/missing. post '82 models have a voltage regulator in the circuit which seems to be there to prevent this. i use stock plug and change it once a year.

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby hbabulic » Fri May 18, 2007 9:06 am

Help! I was excited when I read your site but they don't ship to canada and when I called a local honda dealer they quoted me $90 for the assembly.

Where can I get one for $20 (plus exchange of course).

Glad to hear there is at least an option.

Heidi
hbabulic
Net Rider

Postby hbabulic » Fri May 18, 2007 9:18 am

Oh, and now they tell me the headlight has been discontinued so I'm out of luck.

Too bad.
hbabulic
Net Rider

Postby deanmachine » Fri May 18, 2007 9:55 am

Awsome news. I just picked up a QT with a burned out light!!
DM
deanmachine

Postby hbabulic » Mon May 28, 2007 11:16 am

HELP!

OK I'm new to this, I ordered the headlight which seems very small. Put in a tube but still doesn't fit.

My old light had a 3 pronged plug and this has wires, do I cut off the plug on the machine and attach the wires?

Also, not that bright, how do I change the light bulb (assuming I get it working). seems sealed to me like the old one.

Mine looks the same as the picture but I'm at a loss.

Hope someone can help me.
hbabulic
Net Rider

Postby xrongor » Tue May 29, 2007 12:31 am

the light comes out the back. press and turn kind of a deal. its held in by 3 tabs (u can see them sticking out the sides) and its keyed so it only goes back in one way.

if i remember correctly, i just removed the socket and pluged the new light right into the old connectors. maybe i had to switch one end from male to female, i forget. if so i did it on the light and kept the bike stock, and that was the only soldering i did. in any case its all in there with connectors so its easy to remove.

theres a wiring diagram in the repair section so if you get the ground right worst case you got high and low reversed.

good luck
randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby hbabulic » Wed May 30, 2007 9:57 am

OK, I checked my light and I guess I got the wrong one. I ordered a 1981 6V headlight unit and ended up with a sealed unit. I should have gone for the 12 V but I am running my machine with a battery and thought the 6V would be better.

I may reorder but right now I just got mad and cut the back off the socket and I'm trying to order a bulb I can just stick in and sodder the thing back together. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the advice.
hbabulic
Net Rider

Postby daveh221 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:16 pm

I finally got the head light kit into the 1979QT. It works good.
I thank you for the insight.
daveh221
Net Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders