This is the 'before' Tomos.

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

This is the 'before' Tomos.

Postby charliebarb » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:46 pm

1965 Colibri T12. Have to wait a while for the 'after' version!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charliebarb
Net Rider

re: This is the 'before' Tomos.

Postby puch44683 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:39 pm

that is an awesome moped!!!!very nice condition for its age!!!biggest problem i can see is the wheels aha them ones look shot and i don't know how easy or hard it would be to find wheels for that bike (maybe they were also used on a more common moped) , and vulcan i totally agree with you on the age thing, just like cars the older ones were much stronger and much more reliable then the tin/plastic cars nowadays well good luck on this project and keep us updated!!!!

BLAIR
puch44683
Net Rider

Postby lalunette » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:01 pm

I like the floorboards... They seem better then the pegs I have on my '99 Targa.

Good luck with the restoration, I look forward to seeing the pics.
Richard V. Loiselle
aka Lalunette

You can go far with a smile but you can go even farther with a moped (or a scooter) and a smile...

Blij dat ik rij...
lalunette
Net Rider

Postby Antique_GZR » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Any good bicycle shop should have a bike mechanic who should be able to put proper tension on the wire spokes. Check the spokes by tapping with a metal wrench in the center of each spoke - they should each sound the same tone and be tight - a dull "thunk" is a loose spoke. But spoke tightening is an art - too many loose ones and rookie tightening can pull a rim out of round.

Those wheels should clean up nice with any number of products available.
Antique_GZR
Net Rider

Postby Saabsonettguy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:47 am

Good old Puch/Tomos quality. Shame there arn't any of the tomos version floating around in the US.
Grey
Live to ride, Ride to work
Saabsonettguy
Net Rider

Update: This is the 'before' Tomos T12 'Colibri'

Postby charliebarb » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:05 am

After two five hours sessions I almost have no two parts touching each other! (ignoring complete motor) All steps photographed and recorded.
Of interest:
- Front sprocket cover, with Tomos logo, has small broken area at bottom.
- 1965 style rear shocks have some mysterious disassembly process, can't imagine to proper sequence, the lower bushing is completely captured. Perhaps press out the bushing center?
- Some fins on cyllinder heads broken off. Original owner reports cylnder has been replaced.
- Mud guard support structure twisted and badly bruised by impacts, and full of mud!
- Mud guard removal requires sliding off rubber brake pad from pedal, which 1965 rubber won't slide over tang on end of pedal.
- Origanally supplied with hand shifter for three speed motor, converted to foot shifter after hand shifter broke at handle bar. Cables removed, will need new hand shifter mechanism.
- Having trouble with disassembly of front fork with shocks, still not done. Need to remove and rechrome pipes. Any ideas, oldtimers?
- Question about chromed parts. Does all the old chrome come off before re plating? How?
- What coating should be applied to non chrome unpainted parts? like sprokets and bolts?
- How do I polish the aluminum parts to a mirror shine?
- Do I try and remove small dents from the gas tank or fill with putty?

Thanks for any help!
Charlie B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charliebarb
Net Rider

Postby scratchmarc » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:18 am

not sure if you've seen this site. it's all about Puch but since your Tomos seems to be closely related there may be some tips that would apply to your project:

http://www.puchverkstan.se/?m=1&lang=en

good luck!

~marc
scratchmarc
Net Rider

Postby charliebarb » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 am

Thanks! A great site, I've written to him asking for help, no response as of yet.
charliebarb
Net Rider

Re: This is the 'before' Tomos.

Postby charliebarb » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:54 pm

image.jpeg
And this is the after!
charliebarb
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders