Postby HondaNC50 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:19 pm

its going to take an hour before i can even watch it

man dial up sucks
A Moped Is Just A Moped Unless Its A HONDA
HondaNC50
Net Rider

re: Moped Safety Film from 1979

Postby Enforcer57 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:58 pm

well I found the temp files, but I thought Id been deleting all those with the delete files button.

What type of file is it? Ive checked all the flash wave and windows media files, but I dont see these. They should still be there. And how big are those things so I can use that to help me find them.

the only thing i see from utube on there are endless thumbnails.
Anything that rolls, flies, or looks good in a skirt should be photographed....often.
Enforcer57
Net Rider

Postby Jim C. » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:50 pm

This film is TOO MUCH!
It was actually filmed here in the San Gabriel, CA area. The building the shop was located in still exists on San Gabriel Blvd. as far as I know. In the first street scene (Las Tunas Ave) where the rider is going down a main street you see an escrow company. They are still there today, as is the shopping center he rides past.

In the spot where the Afro kid is shown, you see the TIP TOP bar in the background. now it's a karaoke place.

O'Donnell Buick/Opel shown in the background sold Yugos when they came out. When they were discontinued they were blowing them out for $3500. That was for a new car!

Maclovio Perez was a weatherman here on CBS channel 2 around that time.

During that era that's about as many mopeds as I ever saw on the road.
Thanks for the memories!
I was told if you stroke it more than twice it's a sin.
Jim C.
Net Rider

Postby Jim C. » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:54 am

Seems like mopeds and karaoke bars didn't make it there. The one in the former Tip Top bar appears to be in business though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim C.
Net Rider

Postby Tab » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:05 pm

That picture is depressing. It looked much better as a moped dealer. Thanks for posting it, though!
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby Jim C. » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:15 pm

Sorry to depress you, Tab.
If you lived around here that's all you'd see, and Chinese restaurants. The way those karaokeplaces make money is that you can rent a private room to take lessons with one of the "hostesses".
Really!

This place must have had ugly hostesses.

I think I'll go ride around that neighborhood and see if the blonde ever got a ride.
Jim C.
Net Rider

Postby Tab » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:03 pm

What is the physical address of the old moped shop? I'd like to see it on google earth.

I grew up in Wayne, NJ. The big places there were Perlmutters (still in business and selling mopeds...Tomos - but used to be Motobecane), The Sport Spot (former Tomos and General Dealer - long, LONG gone 1981ish) and 4 Sons Cyclery (Schwinn bicycles and Puch moped dealer - closed in the mid 80s).
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: Moped Safety Film from 1979

Postby Dana W » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:07 am

Enforcer57 wrote:well I found the temp files, but I thought Id been deleting all those with the delete files button.

What type of file is it?

Its a Temp file it has no extension till you give it one, I on;dt know how big they are but they have to be at least ten megs, most music videos run seven.
Dana W
Regional Rider

Postby Jim C. » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:49 pm

Tab:
The address would have been 217 S. San Gabriel Blvd, San Gabriel, CA 91776

Another moped shop I recall but the name I don't remember was on 5526 Rosemead Blvd, Temple City, CA 91780

The last operating moped shop in the Los Angeles area now is Myron's Mopeds in Fullerton, but that's Orange County.
Jim C.
Net Rider

Postby Tab » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:07 pm

I found it on terraserver. You can clearly see the back lot where they were "practicing."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby Jim C. » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:00 am

I don't think I saw a single suv in either video. Peace. Jerry.

So true, Jerry, because they didn't exist!
The reason you saw the Pintos and Vegas was that people were buying small cars because of the "Oil Crisis". Gas was almost a buck a gallon!

In 1980 as oil prices stabilized and Yuppies had kids, they didn't feel safe in little econo-boxes. Remember the BABY ON BOARD signs? They started buying Jeep Cherokees for their perceived safety. You could bash a Datsun with impunity and live to tell about it. Land Rover saw this and put out the Discovery which Hollywood celebs bought. Soon everybody wanted one because Michael J. Fox drove one. Then someone customized my former favorite stationwagon on steroids, the Chevy Suburban.

And the rest, as they say, is history. I can understand Mercedes building an SUV as they have always built trucks. But you know the world's gone nuts when BMW builds an Ultimate Driving Machine truck! Cadillac Escalade? The only Cadillac trucks I recall seeing pictures of were cut off touring cars of the 20's used by Dust Bowl hillbillies during the Depression.

That's why you have 5'-3" Soccer Moms riding you ass in giant trucks when you're on a moped.
Jim C.
Net Rider

Postby Ike » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:47 am

The Chevy Blazer and Suburban (SUV) were both here before 1970.

Ike
Only God can make a tree....
and only Tomos can make a Moped!
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby Wacky Jacky » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:34 pm

Oh, yeah, there were Suburbans aplenty down here back then!
Grime-encrusted '78 JCPenney Pinto OMG WTF!!! Image
Wacky Jacky
Regional Rider

Postby Jim C. » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:56 pm

The Chevy Blazer and Suburban (SUV) were both here before 1970.

Most certainly were. The Suburban goes back to the early 60's. But the term SUV didn't come out until the 80's. Before then these were just truck variants for carrying your work crew and equipment to the jobsite, or towing the travel trailer to Yosemite with something other than a stationwagon or pick up.

As they became trendy, a new identity had to be provided. Why not sport and utility? Yeah, that's the ticket. Put luxury car amenities in a truck! Now you have a whole crop of drivers that never would been seen in trucks, let alone drive one because of the SUV fad.

I know. I've had my 1956 Ford F100 since 1976. That's when nobody had a truck and everyone wanted to borrow mine when they had to move or bring home a refrigerator! I've hauled a moped or two home in that one.
Jim C.
Net Rider

PreviousNext

Return to Moped Riders