QT50 premix mod. Recommended throttle cable?

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

QT50 premix mod. Recommended throttle cable?

Postby onchiman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:11 am

Hi all, this is my first post but I've been reading and lurking for quite a while. I have a '79 QT50 that's been converted to premix. I took the plastic gear off the oil pump and am using the oil tank as a reserve fuel tank. I'd like to get rid of the throttle/oil cable splitter thingy and just run a straignt throttle cable to the carb. Has anyone fit one and if so, what did you use? Any info would be appreciated.
"If it ain't broke, keep fixin' it until it is"
onchiman
Net Rider

re: QT50 premix mod. Recommended throttle cable?

Postby xrongor » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:18 am

ya know when i converted i went round and round about that. ultimately i went with the method that required the least effort and the least cash.

i opened up the splitter, cleaned it, and regreased it which you should probably do anyway. then i took the oil cable completely out of it, then used silicon to block the hole in the splitter where the oil cable went in. removing this cable makes it noticibly easier to turn the throttle and hold it open now since you arent pulling on the oil pump (i.e less tiring on the wrist). im sure refurbing the splitter didnt hurt either.

that said, given a large enough stock pile to physically compare with what you got i'm sure a suitable substitute could be found. if you do happen to find an off the shelf cable that will work in one section, and makes sense to purchase costwise, please post it.

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby sloped » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:54 pm

just came across this on google.

might want to use a spare cable to test my theory, but i was able to file down the throttle cable ent that goes into the junction box and use it directly connected to the carb, thus eliminating the junction box and the only cost to do the mod was for a metal file.
sloped
Net Rider

Postby John » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Link or pics. I want to take the splitter off my MB5. All ready have a block off CNC plate sourced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mholbrook38 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Where did you source the block off plate? Have one for QT50?
mholbrook38
Net Rider

Postby John » Fri May 04, 2012 5:39 am

E-bay is where I found it. May try tzracer at gmail dot com
$25CAD anodized in black or natural. Worth a try to see if they make one for your bike, does other 2 strokes from by-gone days.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders