WTB: Garelli Mosquito Engine, gas tank and throttle control

Buy and Sell Moped related items

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

WTB: Garelli Mosquito Engine, gas tank and throttle control

Postby usarnie1 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:17 pm

I am looking to purchase either the 38A, 38B or Garelli Baby Mosquito add on engine Kit for a bicycle. Each of these engines are pictured below. Please PM me a photo of what you have and a price. The seriall number on the 38A is located to the right of the spark plug coil Bakelite Cover. The serial number on the 38B is located near the 6 volt terminal of the lighting coil. Of the 3 rows of numbers stamped nearby the gear oil fill screw on the Baby Mosquito engine case, the bottom row of numbers are the serial number and will help me to identify what year engine you have.
1951Mosquito38A.jpg

1952Mosquito38B.jpg

1974BabyMosquito.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by usarnie1 on Mon May 30, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 26 times in total.
usarnie1
Net Rider

Re: WTB: Garelli Mosquito Engine, gas tank or throttle contr

Postby John » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:23 am

Check with MarkDaniels over at ECAA in the UK.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: WTB: Garelli Mosquito Engine, gas tank and throttle cont

Postby usarnie1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Mopedland.jpg
I checked with Mark at Mopedland and purchased a reproduction throttle/compression release control from him (see attached photo of his reproduction control.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by usarnie1 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
usarnie1
Net Rider

Postby usarnie1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:51 pm

I went on the Italian eBay and was able to find, bid on and purchase a reproduction Garelli Mosquito gas tank that I wanted.
MosquitoGastank.jpg
Last edited by usarnie1 on Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
usarnie1
Net Rider

Postby John » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:03 am

Great to hear you have found some bits for the bike. Sometimes restos take some time. Back in 99 I started a resto on a Casal, took two and a half years to assemble and get all I wanted for it. Have a Norman Nippy that took over four years to source all my parts including a motor that was completely in pieces in a box.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby usarnie1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:47 pm

I painted and attached the Mosquito decals to my new gas tank. I mounted the 1973 Baby Mosquito engine onto my 1969 Raleigh Sports Bicycle. This motor has the third production change out of four changes in its' series. The air cooling fins incorporated into the top end casting are much wider and have more surface area than any of the earlier engines in this series. Additionally, Garelli incorporated a lighting coil to the inside of the magneto.
Last edited by usarnie1 on Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 am, edited 12 times in total.
usarnie1
Net Rider

Postby John » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:43 am

Nice job, want to see the completed bike. Will be a sweet ride. What about a vintage two leg centre stand instead of the side stand. Haven't seen one of those horns in years.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby usarnie1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:27 pm

I rebuilt the bottom bracket and added a custom made axel extender, so the left crank arm clears the Baby Mosquito engine
AxelExtender1.JPG
Last edited by usarnie1 on Wed May 25, 2016 11:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
usarnie1
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:02 am

Got a link for the extender.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby usarnie1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:05 am

I thought I would show the before and after photos of my 1973 Baby Mosquito engine that I purchased on the internet and the work that I completed. The engine's compression tested at 110 PSI and after I set the points to .014", has a good spark. It came with a CW225N Magneti Morelli spark plug, a Dellorto SHA14.9 Carburator and an automatic transmission that holds 8 ounces of gear oil. This engine incorporates the third production change out of four production changes made in its' series (larger surface area cooling fins were incorporated to cool the engine better and a lighting coil was added to the inside of the magneto circuit, to power a head light and tail light).
image1.jpg
BabyMosquito2.jpg
usarnie1
Net Rider

Return to Buy/Sell