[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Moped Riders Association • View topic - Puch Bobber

Puch Bobber

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Puch Bobber

Postby dracothered » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Hello, I would like to introduce myself and also show you my Puch project.

I'm from Michigan and have owned several types of vehicles including a mini bike, motorcycle, baja bug and a Jeep CJ5 plus several types of cars and trucks. Built or repaired much of what I owned. So when I got interested in motorized bikes it lead me to mopeds.

So I thought I would take one like this...

and build it into one that looks like this...

My build will have these items in it...
Murray frame (Yea I know it isn't a real Puch frame)
EBR magnum forks
Schwinn Sting Ray handlebars
Batavus tank
18" front wheel
16" rear wheel
Puch E50 engine 50cc single speed.
15mm SHA carb

A quick moc up...

Top tube welded in...

Front tank mount point also welded on...

Just needs the rear tank stud welded on...

Then I need to stretch the rear swing arm.
dracothered
Net Rider

re: Puch Bobber

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:11 am

Neat project!
I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 pm

So at what angle will the shocks not work like they are suppose to?

Here is a virtual mock up at the angle the would sit with the swing arm stretched like I need it to be.
dracothered
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:36 pm

I cut up two Murray swing arms and stretched the one.

The rods are to line up the pieces and to add strength at the joint.

Added about 3 1/2 inches to the swing arm.

One side all welded up.
dracothered
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Well after doing some reading and after a test assembly with the rear wheel on the swing arm I have come to the conclusion that it is becoming a hard tail with a sprung seat. :mrgreen:

The shocks that are there now will be going bye bye, to be replace by a seat stay.

dracothered
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:46 pm

A hard tail it is now, which takes care of many a worries over the shocks and if they will work right or not. Still need to weld the other side on.

Try to guess what I used to make the seat stay out of... :mrgreen:
dracothered
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:50 pm

Looking good! I gotta learn to weld someday!

I like the idea of adding a cross bar. Tanks for my Free Spirit are small, and hard to find. It would be neat to have a bigger tank.

I would guess (and this is from complete ignorance) that going with a hard tail is better that shocks at that angle. The only other option I could see is maybe moving the mount points on the swing arm closer to the front to reduce the angle. But that is also a half-baked idea based on more ignorance.

I imagine a seat with stiff springs, and maybe oversize tires would compensate for lack of rear shocks. I'm planning to put 3.00 - 17 tires on mine.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Re: re: Puch Bobber

Postby dracothered » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 pm

dracothered
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:54 am

Mock up of seat position...

dracothered
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:25 am

The front seat mount is made, now I have to wait for the rear seat coil over shock to come in so I can mount it.

Here is two different tail light positions that I am considering, of course neither is in the exact position that they would be mounted. I also have a couple small tail lights coming that I want to mount just above the rear axle on both sides.

dracothered
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Here is a full profile view of her.
The handling should be good with a 3" trail on the front fork rake.

dracothered
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:19 am

To be honest the more I looked at the top tube alignment the more it bugged me so I moved the back of the top tube.

dracothered
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Looking good!

The more I see your project, the more I want to add a top tube to mine.
Free Spirit gas tanks are hard to come by!
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Here is what the tire will look when it gets mounted.
dracothered
Net Rider

Postby dracothered » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 pm

All fab'd and welded, just need to cut down the pivot pin in the front and either thread the one end or drill it for a cotter pin.

dracothered
Net Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders